Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help me get my sound back.

• Please log in to reply

ron111

ron111

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
ever since i got a virus my speakers have not worked ive tried many things but have failed. they are labtec speakers. i dont know much about sound cards etc.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Do you still have this virus or has it been removed?

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
it has been removed

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, ron111.

First, please confirm your operating system. Is it Windows XP? Home or Professional? SP1 or SP2?

Next, do you hear any kind of sound at all? Confirm that your speakers are plugged into the correct jack in the back of the computer and the the volume is not all the way down.

Now, go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio, Volume tab. Confirm that the Device Volume slider is not on "Low" and that "Mute" is not checked.

Then, go to the Sounds tab. The bottom half of that screen is "Program Events". Click on one, then open the Sounds drop-down box and choose a sound to play. Next click the play button to the right of the Sounds drop-down box. Did you hear anything?

If still no sound, let's check in Device Manager - you may need to reinstall the sound card. Right click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager. Expand the Sound, Video, Game Controller category. Do any of the items have a yellow ? or ! over them? Do you see the item that is your sound card? It may say something like "Brandname integrated sound controller".

If it has a yellow symbol over it, right click it and choose Update Drivers. You may need to have your driver disk handy.

If it appears okay, right click it and choose Uninstall. Reboot your computer and allow Windows to reinstall it.

Did that help?

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi, at last some proper help thank you, i have tried all of these the last one mainly and that driver disk is probably what i am missing, its been so long since i installed these speakers.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
The drivers for the sound card really don't have anything to do with the actual speakers. Since you don't have the disk, we may be able to find the drivers online somewhere.

So did you do all those suggestions? Please be as specific as possible with your answers. This will greatly help us diagnose and resolve your issue.

In Device Manager, what is the name of your sound card/controller?

Did it or anything in the Sound category have a yellow symbol?

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
can you just bare with me and ill check it out for you. ill be as fast as i can. thanks.

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i have those details now

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
here is what it said when i opened it up. other devices and it had a yellow ? beside it. multimedia audio controller. location pci bus o, device 31 function 5.
the drivers for this device are not installed code (5) manufacturer unknown

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are the sound jacks in the back of the computer on a PCI card or are they located near the USB and/or ethernet ports?

Is your computer custom-built or a name-brand?

If name-brand, what brand/model is your computer?

If custom-built, what is the brand/model of your motherboard?

Do you have any of the disks that might have come with your computer?

If you don't know, you could try downloading and installing Everest Home from here. This should be able to tell what sound controller you have so we can go find the drivers.

Advertisements

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
its an intel computer. windows xp 5.1 (build 2600) service pack 2
internet exp 7.0.5730.11
motherboard intel corp. D845GLAD.

is this much help to you?

sound jacks near usb ports, no disks here with me.

Edited by ron111, 05 March 2007 - 03:17 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here's a link to Intel's download center for your motherboard.

Download and install the Integrated Audio Driver.

Please post the results.

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks for your time. will do.

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i went and downloaded that but have still not got any sound. breaking my heart reakon a new set of speakers is prob my best option now.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You could certainly try that.

However, check the sound controller in Device Manager now that you've installed the drivers. Is there still a yellow symbol over it? If so, changing speakers won't help. We've got to figure out how to get the device installed properly.

Edited by LindaGail, 05 March 2007 - 03:55 PM.