Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Installing OS on new computer

• Please log in to reply

madmac68

madmac68

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Since purchasing this new system, I have yet to find a OS that will install on it. By the MB manufacturer, everything should be right but all I get are Win. Sys. error messages. :tazz:

Advertisements

israel_guy

israel_guy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

I'm sorry, can you please re-write the question more clearly?
I didn't understand it, but I'll gladly help you if you will re-write it.

israel_guy

madmac68

madmac68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz:
Ok ... This is as plain as I can get !!
I have a new Soyo SY-K7VM 333 v1.0 motherboard
I have 2 new sticks of Kingston 512 PC3200 400MHz memory
I have a new Max Power PL350 power supply
I have a new Maxtor 80 Gig Hard drive
I have a new AMD Sempron 2500+ CPU
I can not install any type of OS
Every time I try, I recieve Win Sys Error messages ;)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
do you have another system available? sounds like you might have a bad hdd. I would test it on another system, format and run checkdisk to be sure. I would also run memtest x86 to make sure you haven't gotten a bad stick of ram.

madmac68

madmac68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried 4 motherboards and since my last posting, 2 different sticks of memory with the same result. :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
is it possible that your hdd has had linux on it at one time? or some other NON microsoft os? I recomend starting with Darik's boot and nuke, http://dban.sourceforge.net/ and wipe the drive. this way we know that its clean.

I was considering wether or not you had bad media, but have you tried a different cd-rom drive?

TURKISH

TURKISH

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Im having a similar problem, renewed the MB and the CPU but cannot enter the windowsXP programme, or repair or reinstall.

Think Ive read somewhere that Microsoft are making their ruling about using their OS on one computer compulsary and by changing the MB/CPU the results adds up to a new computer.

In your case I think the HDD you bought was actually second hand and had WIN XP on it at some stage. Think you may need to try and take it back and ask for a new one in sealed manufacturers packaging.

Im going to try and format my hard drive on another computer and see if this works. Will let you know how I get on.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Turkish, yes there is something in regards to that, but that will only show up after you get to the registration screen. Its called product activation and if you change hardware then you have to call microsoft to get a new activation code.

In this case he can't even get the os to get that far.

starjax

madmac68

madmac68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks but yes I have tried 2 different CD-ROMS. And you are also right about not being able to even start installing a OS on this machine. But I can say I have not tried XP because I already have it running on this machine and they will not let you install it on 2 unless you are running xp Office :tazz:

madmac68

madmac68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
;)
No I have never had linux on any HHD but I am willing to give it a shot if it will work ... lol :tazz:
And thanks for the tip on the site !! ;)