Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format computer question.

• Please log in to reply

xlambx

xlambx

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I originally have a Dell Dimension desktop. But now I am replacing the motherboard. I plan on formatting my computer after finishing putting it in. But I have a Dell format Windows XP CD. Would that CD work after replacing the motherboard?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
No It will not. You are putting in different hardware so the CD only recognizes the hardware that was orginally installed in the Dell PC. If you were to get the same mobo, then it should work. You can install XP with the Dell CD, but you will have to call Microsoft to get the registration resolved.

-slacker :whistling:

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
No it will not work, unless the motherboard is also from Dell. But you could try to use a regular OEM cd and use the cd key that is attached to your computer, you will more than likely have to call to Microsoft to activate it though. Just start the normal activation procedure and select Activate by phone.

Edited by cmw2010, 05 March 2007 - 07:10 PM.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Do you think there will be any fees along with this?

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
No, you already have a legal CD key, so all it needs is activated, which is free.

Hubster

Hubster

I posted trash

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I got charged an arm and a leg for mine. Looks like cmw2010 has solved your problem tho. A net gain for geekstogo.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
And one last question, where would i get the OEM CD at? :whistling:

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Do you know anyone that has one you could borrow?

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I do not know yet because I do now know what a OED CD is.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Here is where you can find out what OEM is by clicking here.

OEM is a CD that is ORIGINALLY from your Manufacturer. It can only work with THEIR hardware when you install XP. If you install XP on another PC with different hardware, then Microsoft's gonna bug you to activate with them when the key's been activated on a different computer. It is also not compatible with the drivers you have and you cannot update Windows with Microsoft Update because your Windows will not be genuine unless you buy a fully new OEM.