Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE needs to close due to error signature

• Please log in to reply

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
:whistling: I used to able to post on a message board on a site, now everytime I try to post I get the following message:

Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. It shows to be an Error Signature.
App Name iexplorer.exe
App Ver 7.0.6000.16414
Mod Name ppho.dll

I've always maintained the rules of the message board so I have not been banned. If anyone can offer a suggestion of how to correct this, I would appreciate the information.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Have you tried to connect with another browser? Try Opera. If you can connect with a different browser then the problem may be with IE7, I would also check for malware seeing as I can find no references to ppho.dll.

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thanks for the reply.. I can't find any ref to ppho.dll either, however, I have decided to try another browser like Avant or Opera to see if the issue is in the IE7.
again thanks for the suggestion.

Gamblin22

P.S. One thing is for sure I am not a computer wiz, and I try not to get frustrated when something goes south on my system, but I have been to the microsft sight and I do get abit confused about what action to take or download to try to fix this issue.I need to take a course in computer 101, that would probably help.
Have a Great Day!!

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hi there.

I looked through that log --Iexplore.exe is the culprit.

We should run a repair install of Internet Explorer 7.

Have you found that on Microsoft's website?

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yep been to the Microsoft site, there seems to be alot of issues with IE7, now all I need to do is figure out which one will solve my problem.I haven't changed browsers yet, because I really want to resolve this issue first just in case it's something that may attach itself to a new browser, then I'd be chasing my tail again like I am now, simply put, if you have a leak on your automobile, I dont want to end up puting a new engine in if the dang leak is from a hose.

I guess what your saying that you believe the issue is iexplorer.exe.Makes sense!! Do I need to reload IE7??or, is there something else I need to do. Remember, I am not a wiz at these things, but I'm getting an education now.LOL...

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK I have reloaded IE7!! Everything seems ok but I cannot log into the site that I am having issues with, I can however log into other sites. So now I guess I need to adjust something to make it work. :blink: I would continue to try to fix this but I have to get to work, I'll check back this afternoon .

Thanks for the HELP!!! :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Have you tried cleaning out your Temporary Internet Files?

There is also a possibility that the website terminal is down as of the moment.

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes , I perform a disk clean before I log off. I perform a disk defrag about every 2 weeks. I have got Norton Security system and keep it updated on a regular basis, and run a full system scan about once a week, so far it has only found an adware program, which I am holding in quarentine. I have sent an email to the site customer service dept. to see if there are issues with their certificates. I kinda doubt that is the issue but you never know, however I have never recieved any type of warning that their certificates are outdated or invalid. I currently have the IE7 browser set at default, and I'm thinking there might be something in the default that I may need to uncheck or maybe even check....or their is an add-on that is causing the problem.As I mentioned before, this is a learning experience for me, and I do appreciate any input.

Thanks for the reply.
Gamblin22

P.S. Yes i have cleaned my temp Internet Files, i believe there is a differnce between a Disk Clean up and the Temp Internet Files.

Edited by Gamblin22, 07 March 2007 - 05:34 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Some people have reported issues with IE7 and Windows critical update KB928090. Go to Add or Remove Programs to see if that is in your list then remove it. If you can then browse to those sites you amy have to wait for MS to come up with a fix for that update.

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for that info. I finally downloaded another browser "Avant" not sure I like it yet gonna take some getting use to but it did solve my issue. I would like to thank everyone for their replies and help with this problem, I appreciate it.

Have a Great Day!! :whistling:
Gamblin22

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I would recommend Mozilla Firefox.

Have you ever heard of it?

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes I have heard of Firefox , but I am not familiar with it. Is there a reason you recommend these Firefox over Avant? I am becoming familiar with the Avant Browser but it has some whistle and bells that are going to take some time to get used to, it's quite abit different from Internet Explorer, but it seems to be user freindly.

Gamblin22

Edited by Gamblin22, 08 March 2007 - 04:46 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Avant is based on IE, simple but just as open to attacks. Firefox is is a good browser if you like customizing them by adding "neat" little extensions/plug-ins plus it is bit more secure. Opera is similar to Firefox except you don't have to add all those "neat" little items and can be a bit more secure. All of them use tabbed browsing. In fact they tend to copy each other for some functions. You can test them all out and discover which one plays nice and you enjoy more.

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'll give that a try whiskyman , I appreciate the recommendations. This weekend when I have some time, I'll give both of them a test drive. I was thinking yesterday about the problem with iexplorer.exe, I still need to find out if there is a script error laying somewhere inside this thing, even if I did re-load IE 7, as I previously mentioned, it did not resolve my original problem. By downloading a new browser, all I've really done is put a bandaid on the problem.I've ran a disk check, but nothing shows when it is finished.

Have a Good Weekend!!
Gamblin22