Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outpost Firewall Problem

• Please log in to reply

MissMurasaki

MissMurasaki

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've been having problems with a slow down of my computer since I got DSL and switched to the Outpost Firewall. This evening it was really slow so when I checked the Task Manager it read Outpost had 106K memory usage. :whistling: That seems excessive, and I'm not sure about Firefox using 40K of memory. :blink:

Dell Dimension 2400, 2.2 GHz Processor
256MB DDR SDRAM at 333 MHz
EMBARQ 660 Series DSL Modem
Windows XP, SP 2

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think you meant Mbytes not Kbytes? 40MB for Firefox is normal, mine's using 50MB as I type this. As for Outpost Firewall, I can't say as I don't use it, but my Comodo firewall is using 14MB.

So while your Firefox is normal, your firewall is much higher than mine. Try Comodo just by way of comparison (obviously you'll have to uninstall Outpost temporarily). Comodo is here, and it's free:
http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

Edited by pip22, 06 March 2007 - 05:05 PM.

MissMurasaki

MissMurasaki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
You're right it's in thousand K's. OOPS! Still huge. I'll try Comodo and tell you how it goes. Thanx!

MissMurasaki

MissMurasaki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So far so good with Comodo! It's only using 11,000 K of memory. Plus it just seems easier to use. I still kind of wonder what made Outpost use so much memory, but it won't keep me up at night. I consider this problem solved. Thank you! :whistling: