Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Zydas WLAN Adapter Problems

• Please log in to reply

Fragman52

Fragman52

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi,

Recently a USB WLAN adapter was given to me by a friend. It is just a generic adapter, no brand name so I have no idea who manufactured it. Anyway, I cracked it open and it is using a ZyDas 1211 chip. So I searched for Zydas drivers and installed them.

I can get the adapter working and my wireless devices connected. In fact, the connection is fast and effective! But the driver has caused my computer to crash every few hours. I get blue screened and it is always related to the driver "zd1211u.sys".

I'm not sure what to do. It is possible the version of the driver I have isn't supposed to run on my version of Windows (XP Pro SP2) but I have tried 5 different downloads/versions of the drivers and they all cause my PC to crash.

So I have some questions:
1) What drivers should I be using?
2) How can I prevent my PC from crashing even if I have to use the zd1211u.sys driver? (If it comes to that)

Please help! I want wireless access in my home but I don't want an unstable, crashy computer!

Thank you,
Fragman52

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
uninstall the wireless drivers that you've got...then hook the adapter up and run everest home

Download Everest from this link :
http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Run everest then click on the Report menu. Select Report Wizard, then select Hardware Related pages. Create the report as a TXT file (if this option is available). When its finished compiling, save the report & then attach it with your next post. let's see if the actual product name comes up in the list

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Here is my report. Also, I have the adapter connected through a Cicero USB 2.0 hub, if that is relevant.

Attached Files

Edited by Fragman52, 06 March 2007 - 05:19 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok...it didn't show up there at all...piece of junk hehehe...you might try plugging directly into a usb port on the PC and running another report..

also look on the stickers on the contraption...do you see any serial numbers or anything like that? maybe an FCC number...(should say FCC..then a big number)

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I got a report with it plugged straight into the USB port. This time it didn't show up in the report.

The FCC sticker on the back says "FCC ID: KFY-WA4020".

Also, there is a sticker on both sides of the inside of the case, with a couple Chinese symbols, and then the code "CSWA4020-CB8-NB000", as well as as a small barcode on the back that reads "00036D20C4FF". There is a slightly larger barcode below, but the code is worn off.

I took a picture of it. My webcam is really low quality (not to mention broken) so you can't make out the letters. I wrote "ZyDAS ZD1211" on the top. In the gray bar it just says "54 Mbps WiFi-G USB Adapter" and next to the little LED it says "• LINK" and on the other side "٭ ACT".

Posted Image

There, by that description you should be able to spot it in a crowd. :whistling:

Thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'll check on it today and see if i can find a more accurate driver

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
by your description it sounds like you got the chipset drivers before...so here's some that specifically reference the usb adapter
http://dl.qj.net/ZyD.../7928/catid/193
http://drivers.softp...1-80211bg.shtml

those are two out of about 26,000 hits...MOST of which were linux drivers...very hard to find the windows drivers for this thing...

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The first link I have tried before. I will try it one more time and report back on whether or not it crashes the computer. The second link doesn't work, because it forces you to choose the external link, the official Zydas website. But because Zydas was just recently purchase by Atheros, the site doesn't exist anymore. For some stupid reason beyond me, Atheros decided to buy the company, use the employees, but cease all support.

Edit: I've got everything connected and working fine. Now we just have to wait and see if it crashes again. :whistling:

Edited by Fragman52, 08 March 2007 - 04:03 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
man i hate driverguide.com so very much... though...they are effective http://dsenette.geek...4_6_0_0_ALL.zip

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have tried the driverguide ones also, ha ha. The driverguide version is 4.6, but the version you gave me earlier is 4.13.

I'll keep trying that one and see if it causes problems. The driver is working fine, I just hope it doesn't crash.

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok, the driver just crashed the PC. Afterwards I'm given an error report telling me it was caused by a device driver, nothing specific though.

Any ideas?

Edited by Fragman52, 08 March 2007 - 04:43 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
my only other idea is to actually buy a new dongle...that things obviously gonna cause grief...all the drivers you've tried SHOULD have worked...but they aren't...the fact that the company doesn't exist any more isn't the best of signs either...cut your losses and buy a new one :whistling:

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hmm, I was afraid you were going to say that. Thanks for your help! I'll pick up a new one some time soon. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i hate to admin defeat as such...but the things aren't that expensive anymore...and it's not worth banging your head against the wall for something that easy to replace