Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can i install vista

• Please log in to reply

L1980®

L1980®

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, my name is Luis. I'm a new member in geekstogo.

I need to install the new windows vista in a very old pc, IBM Intellistation M Pro 688973U... the specs:

- PIII 550Mhz (can install 2 processors, only 1 processor installed)
- 2Gb RAM PC-133 (4*512Mb)
- PCI Video card, FX5200 with 256MB DDR, DiretX 9.0 and Pixel shader 2.0.
- 80Gb hardisk 7200rpm.
- etc.

Can I install vista with less than the minimum recomended processor speed?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank'x.

PD. Sorry by my english, i'm speak spanish.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you might be able to get it to install but if you do it's not going to run in any fashion worth using....that processor is WAY too slow for Vista.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You'll get it to install. But you won't be very happy with how it performs on that computer.

Edited by Neil Jones, 06 March 2007 - 05:45 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't bother installing it, by the time you waited for everything to load the next operating system would be here! To repeat what the others have already said, that processor really needs upgrading, before you could really consider the upgrade.
James

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Depending on the motherboard in your system, it might be possible to upgrade it to a 1.2GHz processor. That's the highest that the PIII's went up to. You can probably find some on eBay for pretty cheap. Buying them new from a retailer would be out of the question because they wouldn't even have them in stock anymore. It still wouldn't run Vista with the cool Aero Theme, but at least it would be usable more then it would be with the current setup...

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 07 March 2007 - 05:00 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I personally wouldnt do it, windows operating systems are designed for the generation of hardware they are designed on so the best OS for that system would be windows 2000 or XP, vista no way it would be unwise to try for something newer and functional one of the more up to date linux distros, the new ubuntu is out on april that would be your best bet for a new OS on that system.