Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Remove WIn XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

mikerogersx

mikerogersx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have purchased a new computer. I have a 300GB HDD in old computer that has Win XP Pro. I want to use the 300 GB HDD in the new computer to store files and not to use as a boot drive. I have WIn XP Pro on the new computer. Can I use the 300 GB HDD from the old computer in the new computer or should I remove the Win XP pro - btw I will not pass windows validation so it has its limitations. But that is a whole separate issue.
Thanks for your advice.
Mike

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Of course you can use your old hard drive in the new computer. You can install it internally (if you have a room in the box), or you can purchase an external USB enclosure.

If you install it internally, be sure the cabling and/or jumpers (if applicable) are attached correctly, so that the drive is set as a secondary/slave drive.

Once you can see it via My Computer, you can format the drive to clean it up, if you don't need anything that's on it presently. The Windows installation on the old drive should not be a factor in booting the new computer, so if you don't want to format the drive, it should be fine. You can delete the existing Windows folder off that drive to free up space.

Hope this helps.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

btw I will not pass windows validation so it has its limitations. But that is a whole separate issue.

what's the issue there? which won't pass validation and why?

mikerogersx

mikerogersx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The Win XP on the old PC HD was not purchased from MS or MS Retailer. It was put on my PC many years ago when I first got the PC. After MS started validating Win XP I found out mine would not pass the test. SoI got a new PC and purchased Win XP and that makes it legal.