Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Installation

• Please log in to reply

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok, so. I was installing windows XP, everything went fine, That blue screen showed up, I did all the settings.. While it was formatting the drive, (i selected NTFS Quick) I went away from my screen for a few minutes to get a drink and a few other things.. I came back, it was a black screen. I thought, maybe something was loading. So I went away, did a few things, Checked on it AGAIN and still a black screen >.< I am pretty sure I did nothing wrong. I was installing this on a brand new hard drive I just got. It is a "Maxtor STM3160212A 160GB DiamondMax20 ATA 2MB Cache - OEM". When I booted up the PC it detected it and everything seemed fine, and beforehand I tried out to see if an older hard drive worked that had 98 installed on it and that was fine. Now I just went down, still a blank/black screen. Nothing on it.

Anyone else experienced this? I could really use some help as i'd like to get this computer up and running tonight.

Thanks,

-- Stealth.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you restart the pc and boot from the cd again...can you try doing a full format? instead of the quick?

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok I will try that in a moment, and post my results =]

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ok I will try that in a moment, and post my results =]

Ok >.< Now it crashes even earlier! aww.

Right after it says Setup is Configuring something blah blah, right before the blue screen that the xp install thing is on (on dos) >.<

Also if I dont press a key and let it continue, I get a black screen too. Please help >.<

this is a BRAND NEW hard drive I just got it today btw

Edited by StealthSoul, 06 March 2007 - 11:58 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did the drive come with a disk from maxtor?

if not go to http://www.seagate.c...maxtor_desktop/ and download the maxblast bootable iso image...burn that to a cd as a bootable iso...then boot the pc to it...this tool will allow you to format and initialize the hard drive

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

did the drive come with a disk from maxtor?

if not go to http://www.seagate.c...maxtor_desktop/ and download the maxblast bootable iso image...burn that to a cd as a bootable iso...then boot the pc to it...this tool will allow you to format and initialize the hard drive

It didn't come with a disc. I'm downloading it now. Do I burn it like any other ISO, Getting something like DVD Decrypter, going on Mode --> Iso --> Write then just burn ISO onto a CD or is there a special way of doing this one? Is this pretty straight forward once i've put the CD in? Also -- What do I do after this? It will let me start XP install again?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah just burn it like any other iso....once you get into it it should be pretty much "oh...that's what that button does" look for the format and initialize type things (not sure on the actual setup of the software...haven't used it in a while)...once it's done y ou can put your xp disk back in and give that another try

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok. Thanks alot for your help. It is at 80% right now, So I should be done soon. I'll post again with updates if I have any trouble with the program (MaxBlast) or the windows install after.

Is the only thing I should do different in this install of windows the Full format instead of Quick?

Edited by StealthSoul, 06 March 2007 - 12:11 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...i tend to go with the full because i'm parranoid...but also when you're setting up a NEW hd....the full format actually builds the partition table...where as the quick just...well does things differently..

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

well...i tend to go with the full because i'm parranoid...but also when you're setting up a NEW hd....the full format actually builds the partition table...where as the quick just...well does things differently..

I see. I guess it was stupid of me to go with a Quick. I've never done an install of windows, Was following a guide and that said to use quick as full takes too long -.- Download is done, Burning to CD now ^^ I should be here with a reply on how it goes within around 10 minutes or so =]

/hurray just finished burning XD that took like a minute

Advertisements

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
=[ It hangs

Attempting Int 13 I0 to drive 80 Drive Found!
Attempting Int 13 I0 to drive 81 No Response

Attempting PS ATA Identify -SN<
< - Invalid Response
Attempting PS ATA Identify _

And then it goes no further. Hangs there for a while. >.<

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
brand new drive out of the box?
only drive in the system?
how is it jumpered?
where is it connected on the ide cable?

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

brand new drive out of the box?
only drive in the system?
how is it jumpered?
where is it connected on the ide cable?

Yes brand new out of the box.
yes, only drive.

Jumpered?
Umm. Where on the ide cable? Huh XD

-- All I did was pull the hard drive out and stick it into the PC and put in Windows cd

Bet I did something wrong didn't i 0.o

Edited by StealthSoul, 06 March 2007 - 12:29 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.seagate.c...ata_jumpers.gif jumper settings for maxtor drives...you want your jumper (the little doodad on the back of the drive that "jumps" those pins) to match the first picture in the last box (the master setting) and you want to make sure that the drive is on the end connector of the cable that it's connected to not the center connector

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

http://www.seagate.c...ata_jumpers.gif jumper settings for maxtor drives...you want your jumper (the little doodad on the back of the drive that "jumps" those pins) to match the first picture in the last box (the master setting) and you want to make sure that the drive is on the end connector of the cable that it's connected to not the center connector

Ok.. I got no clue what to do XD

Sorry for not understanding, Hopefuly you can explain. I see that its the 2 pins on the left, but where or what are they, and what to i plug into them?

Ok I see it is somethign like this:

http://upload.wikime...lock-shunts.jpg

But, I dont think I have one?

Ok I see one now, but on the picture

http://www.seagate.c...ata_jumpers.gif

I see the jumper is plugged in on the Cable Select thing.

Edited by StealthSoul, 06 March 2007 - 12:44 PM.