Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MS Access Help

• Please log in to reply

swicklund

swicklund

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am in the process of collating & quantifying customer return data, and have a table that I am entering return information (i.e. Return Date, Return Code (reason for the return), $ of the Return, etc...) What I would like is to compile this data into a table that has the monthly totals based on the Return Code (so, I will end up with one column for each return code). I will then use this table to create a chart (I know how to do the chart, but need help compiling the data).

Any help would be most appriciated!!!! :whistling:

Thank you,

Steve

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, swicklund!

What version of Access do you use?

You want a report that shows two columns, Return Code and Nbr of Returns. This will list each code and a sum of the total number of returns for that code.

Is that correct?

swicklund

swicklund

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
LindaGail,

I am using Access 2002.

The end result that I am looking for is a column chart that shows the monthly totals ($) for each return code. There are currently 2 codes that I am concerned with so the table that my chart is based on has three colums:
  • Month
  • $ of returns for Code 1 for given Month
  • $ of returns for Code 2 for given Month
Any Thoughts??

swicklund

swicklund

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a column chart in an Access Report where I have included the data table at the bottom of the chart. My delima is that I want to format the data to currency w/ two decimal places, but when I preview or print the report, the data is formatted Number & automatic decimal places.

I have changed the format of the data in the query the chart is created from, but that does not carry through.

Help.?.?.? :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'll be able to looik at this later tonight.

Also, is your other post on Access charts [http://www.geekstogo...2-t151110.html] related to this issue?

swicklund

swicklund

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you for your help.

My second post is related so far as it is the same database, and the chart is created off the table I am trying to create.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I've uploaded an Access database that might help you. You can download it from here: http://www7.spread-i...fb4c160b5448c6f

I created a simple table with Return Code, Return Date, Dollar Amt. Then I created a Crosstab query and a report off that query.

Is this anything like you're trying to achieve?

As to the number/currency format: I set the Dollar Amt as a number, Field Size "Double", Format "Standard", Decimal "Auto". In the report, I changed the format to Currency and 2 decimal places. Everything looks good. Please double check your settings against this.

swicklund

swicklund

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
LindaGail,

Thank you for your help. The query you set up did not do everyting that I needed, but I used the information in that query to get my monthly totals. I was able to get the data organized the way I wanted in just two queries (whick is better than the 26 queries I originally had).

As far as formatting the data table on the chart, I decided to remove the data table from the chart, and put it in the body of the report. That eliminated any of the 'oppertunities' I was having with formatting.

Thank you again for your help!! :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad I could help :whistling: