Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with something that appears to be Blaster Worm?

• Please log in to reply

yayomayn

yayomayn

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I hope someone can help.
My PC was working fine up until yesterday morning.
Windows loads up very slowly, I log in and then I get that countdown box that says the "RPC Service terminated unexpectedly" and gives me 60 seconds before restarting.
I remember that this was what the blaster worm did a few years back, but I'm running XP with SP2 with a firewall, anti-virus and anti spyware software installed.
The night before I installed the latest update for XP but that's the only thing that I've installed recently.

I've managed to get around the countdown by using Run>Shutdown -a so I have been able to run the symantec blaster worm removal tool. It says I don't have that. So I ran an anti-virus scan that found nothing, also I ran Windows Defender and it found nothing.

Another thing I've noticed is that the Start bar is a lot smaller and has no quick start icons (it's not there at all in safe mode).

I've tried disabling all of the start up processes but this didn't work. I've tried to do a system restore but it gives me an error message that's something along the lines of "System Restore cannot fix your computer at this time. Please restart and try again".

Does anyone have any ideas?

My Spec:

Motherboard: ASUS K8S
Processor: AMD Athalon 64 3400
Anti Virus: AVG Free
Other Programmes:
Windows Defender
Office 2003
RegCure
Cubase
Reason
Opera

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Just to be on the safe side:

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

yayomayn

yayomayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks.
I actually ended up doing a repair of windows using the XP disc and it seems to have done the job. Someone told me that sometimes the Windows updates from microsoft can mess with your system so much you have to do that(???). Anyway thanks for the response and if I get any more malware problems I'll post it in that forum :whistling:
yayomayn

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well glad you solved it :whistling:

Yeah when you make a repair installation of Windows XP, all the Microsoft Updates you have installed get deleted, so when you repair it, you will have to go back to Microsoft's website and get their updates again.