Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

games crash after short time of playing?!

• Please log in to reply

Mark Hol

Mark Hol

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello! I wonder if someone can help me.

I'm renewing this topic on here as is now old.

My problem occurs when trying to play games like Freelancer, Rise of Nations and Civilisation IV. I can start to run the game perfectly. However, after a few minutes the game will either crash, turning itself off and returning to the desktop or my computer will completely just reset itself.

I clicked on the microsoft error message window that pops up and that suggested that it was a graphics driver problem. At the moment I have 128MB NVidia GeForce 4 graphics card (integrated on a78x-vm as the sheet says that came with my computer!) I have tried to download from NVidia a different graphics driver. All this achieved, however, was to make the games last a little longer before crashing and resulting in a great deal of slow down in places and certain parts of the graphics (particularly in Freelancer) disappearing. However, during the last discussion, various people thought it might be down to insufficient RAM to run the games. At the moment I have two slots with 256MB pc2700 ddr memory cards in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mark Hol

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Your problem looks to be a heat issue. Not all the time but most of the time computers "freeze" or randomly restart is caused by overheating. I would first of all check to make sure that all the fans in your computer are running properly and secondy make sure that everything is dust free.

Extra memory definatly wouldn't hurt and you are most likely boarder line on being able to run those games. Make sure you turn down the graphics settings on the games for smoother gameplay.

Mark Hol

Mark Hol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply.

That sounds like a very straightforward solution so I'll definitely give that a go to see if it makes a difference. I've never noticed my fans to be too clogged up with dust though so I'll see what effect it has.

Probably buying more ram might be the long term solution but what I've never understood is that these games like Freelancer and Rise of Nations have worked fine before with the ram I have so I don't know what has changed!? I seem to remember that the problems began around the time I first connected my computer up to the internet. Would that have made much of a difference??

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I'm sorry I should have been a little more clear in my first reply. I believe that your "crashing, freezing, and restarting" is all a direct result of overheating. These are all symptoms of overheating. There are a few other things that can cause this problem but I think that in your case it is the problem. It Doesn't take much dust to reduce the efficentency of your fans and it will not actually have to "clog" the fans to cause problems. In order to know for sure whether or not your problem is heat related you can download the program SpeedFan: Here.

Once you get that worked out more RAM will definatly increase your game performance and FPS.