Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Office 2003 Excel Question.. Please Help

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
My question is I have a Excel spreadsheet and I am trying to insert a function that will allow me to get the sum of of two cells and put the sum into the Third. Thats the easy part now the problem I am having is I want to highlight two whole colums (almost 600 cells apiece) and get the sum of each individual cell without having to do it one cell by one. I was wondering anyone knew how I could do that or if its even possible. If there is away to do that it would save me tons of time trying to do one by one. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you want the total for each row in one column right?

such as the sum of cells A1 and B1 through A300 and B300 to all show up in C1 through C300 right?

put your formula in C1 then click on that cell...hover your mouse over the bottom right corner of the cell...it should now turn into a + sign...click and drag all the way down to the last cell you want the formula to apply to...this will automatically fill each cell with the formula...and modify it to fit the context (i.e. A1+B1 will become A200+B200 in C200) make sense?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Yes that makes sense. I will give it a try and see how it turns out. I appreciate the help thank you.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I gave it a try and that worked thanks allot. Now I just feel like an idiot because it was something so simple lol, thanks again.