Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem:Screen turning OFF abruptly!

• Please log in to reply

LiquidTensionnn

LiquidTensionnn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
all at a sudden when my pc is on for some time the screen turns off and wouldn't turn back on unless i reboot my system.
i thought it can be a virus, bt i scanned my computer with mcafee and kaspersky but the problem is still occuring..
anyone of u knows abt this?

i used to leave my pc turned on whole nights and days and now i only leave it for an hour or two to come back and see the malfunction.

I formatted my PC last night, hoping that my problem will be solved...
but, i'm still suffering from the problem of the screen turning off

okay, i tried the following:

1- Installation of a new VGA Card
2- uninstalled drivers then installed again
3- computer formatting

it turned out not to be a virus, because i formatted the pc and scanned it for viruses with many virus scans programs..

i was thinking, can my problem possibly be related to the RAM?
i have a 512DDRAM Kingston and i just bought it a couple of months ago.

Please guys any help would be very much appreciated!!

Edited by LiquidTensionnn, 06 March 2007 - 04:58 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What is happening is that your computer is going into sleep mode. This is a very useless feature that only taxes your hard drive way more then it should. To disable it do the following:

Go to START-->RUN and type powercfg.cpl. The Power Options window will open. I don't run XP anymore since I got Vista, but there is an option on one of the tabs that allows you to change certain settings that correspond to going into sleep mode, turning off the monitor after a certain amount of time as passed. Set the one corresponding to Sleep to NEVER. If you have an LCD monitor, I would set the Turn Off Monitor to 5 Minutes. Doing so will increase the life of your monitor tenfold.

Fenor

LiquidTensionnn

LiquidTensionnn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What is happening is that your computer is going into sleep mode. This is a very useless feature that only taxes your hard drive way more then it should. To disable it do the following:

Go to START-->RUN and type powercfg.cpl. The Power Options window will open. I don't run XP anymore since I got Vista, but there is an option on one of the tabs that allows you to change certain settings that correspond to going into sleep mode, turning off the monitor after a certain amount of time as passed. Set the one corresponding to Sleep to NEVER. If you have an LCD monitor, I would set the Turn Off Monitor to 5 Minutes. Doing so will increase the life of your monitor tenfold.

Fenor

hey Fenor, i have all set to "Never" already and still having the same issue!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would try removing the ram chip you bought a couple months ago and see if there is any change.

Fenor

LiquidTensionnn

LiquidTensionnn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I would try removing the ram chip you bought a couple months ago and see if there is any change.

Fenor

i will try that..
i hope i can do something abt this and be able to solve it, coz [bleep] i need this pc!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Heh. I know how you feel. Without my PC I would be very depressed. :whistling:

Fenor