Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Vista...

• Please log in to reply

zipster

zipster

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently purchased a new laptop that apparently came preloaded with Vista. When I first tried to start it up, I received an error of some kind, and not knowing anything about Vista, I assumed that it just wasn't installed. So I installed a fresh copy from the disc provided, and then started it up. Not long into the startup, it asked me to choose from two different copies of Windows Vista, so I chose one and started it up. One I had realized that I had two versions installed, I used the disk cleanup tool to remove the windows.old files that were taking up about 10GB of my hard drive. Thinking I would be good to go after that, I restarted only to find that it still asked me which of the two versions I wanted to run. I can only assume that there are some files leftover from the previous version. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to remove that, so that I do not have to choose when I startup, or if I can just set it so that it chooses the correct one without asking. It would be a great convenience if anyone knew the answer, but if not, then it's something I can live with. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
zipster.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi zipster...

Because Vista uses the BCD rather than the boot.ini, you'll need a third party BCD editing tool such as VistaBoot Pro to edit the old boot instructions out. Be sure to remove the right one and be double sure to back it up (the BCD) before you do the edit. You will be prompted to back up...just follow the prompts.

This tool is quite easy to use so you shouldn't have any problems.

wannabe1

zipster

zipster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was very simple to use, and it starts up like a charm now. :whistling:

Thanks a lot for the help,
zipster

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff