Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User Accounts Help Please

• Please log in to reply

Christa

Christa

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I restart my pc... LOUD BEEP... followed by two screens, unable to log you on due to account restriction.
Clicked ok, then the screen behind it... typical windows classic log on screen with Administrator in the account name line. I hit enter since I don't use a password there and BEEP it does it again.
I entered my user name which is Christa but it's also the Computer Administrator account (same one). Hit enter and it lets me in.
Starts up and now it looks like I just started with a fresh install of xp or something. I have 4 icons on my screen (usually like 12 or so;-) I still have my wireless showing connected, so i hit your site and start searching for answers. Explorer even acts like it's all new, you know like asking me if i want to save passwords, set my home page etc...
Now I'm searching for Outlook and my office programs, Click on Outlook and it's starts seaching for a disk. I have it but don't wanna have to install it again, I want my mail that is in there. (I need it and the files) :blink:
I go to the C drive and there is a folder titled MOM that seems to have all of my stuff on it. Previously the admin account showed up with Christa / Administrator / Mom as the account name. But in the folders now it just shows MOM.
Per reading others post on this site, I try to create a new account. Well I try MOM for the name, and it tells me that's already a user account. But is't not in the user accounts. :whistling:
I read something about going into safe mode and moving files over. I'm just afraid to reboot for fear of loosing all the stuff that is now in the MOM folder.

I could use a little more direction here besides what I already read. My circiumstances seem a little different. And if it's telling me that it's already a user account, how do i access it if it's doesnt show up when logging on even as admin.? :help:

Thank you for any assistance. :help:

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
This should help you.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile

Christa

Christa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I read that in a post previously, I only want one user the administrator. Or am I wrong and there always needs to be three in the user account ? the new one I must create, the guest and admin ??
Plus in my documents It looks like I have several different accounts reading as this:
Adminiistrator
All Users
Christa
Defult user (which is apparently a hidden folder)
Mom
Mom.MOM
Owner
then there is a notepad that reads Admini~1

When I would log on previously it was just as Christa / admin, sometimes it would say mom. I don't believe I've ever had any other names on this pc before.
Now I've added a new name, so can I copy all of those user files and folders into a the NEW account name ?
If I'm still logging on as admin where did my mail settings go ? and why is everything not under the account name I was logged on with before. :-( Sorry so many questions / concerns. But I can not open any of my office programs and I need so many of those files.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
If this is XP Home the Administrator named account is only used in Safe Mode.

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel -or- Start > Control Panel and click on User Accounts What is listed?

You can create a personal account that has admin privleges which is probably the Christa account.

If seems as though you have created several accounts. If you were using your mom account previous for the Internet and just created the mom.MOM account, then you should find your emails and other data in the mom account and would need to transfer them to the mom.MOM account as outlined in the link I provided.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 06 March 2007 - 08:17 PM.

Christa

Christa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I tried copying the files as explained, after awhile I get this error... Unable to replace old files by new ones.
Tried again after reboot and made sure i was in admin / christa account. I then recieved cannot replace cardspace. All copying then stops. :-(

Edited by Christa, 07 March 2007 - 06:43 AM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Some XP User account tips here. See if they help.

http://www.kellys-ko...in_xp_logon.htm