Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with playing video files!

• Please log in to reply

teleblock_4u

teleblock_4u

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey im really not that sure if this is the right place but im in dire need of some help :blink:

my computer spec is:
Posted Image

The problem is:

I recently had the "Blue screen of death" and had to completly reinstall all my programs and everything. i am now just getting back on my feet got most things working, i can play wow with gno problems do all tasks with no problems so far EXCEPT i can not play any video files. i cant watch any movies.

everything i try to watch a movie using WMP or DIVX player then it freezes, i can assure u its not the codecs ive updated and updated and updated and i cant find anything wrong anywhere.

please can someone help me?

PLEASE XD

:whistling:

Advertisements

teleblock_4u

teleblock_4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Can no1 help me?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what codecs have you installed? Also what format are the video files?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If it's freezing on AVI files do this. Open folder options, General and set Use windows classic view. This will remove the sidebar preview. Also do not use the thumbnail view for video folders. If this works there is a fix that will disable thumbnail view for AVI in the registry so that you can re-enable it for other formats.

This should stop the freezing.

teleblock_4u

teleblock_4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ALL codecs and filters on my pc:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

=\

As for freezing it freezes on ALL video files i have come across so far. whats puzzleing me is that World Of Warcraft plays fine so that cuts out problem of my video card. i have heard i might need to install my motherboard but i really dont know how to do that / if thats possible.

if someone could help please try :whistling: thanks much appreciated.

oh and thanks tyger i tried that but it didnt work thanks very much though :blink:

just to add, it dosent actualy freeze it slows down so much i can hardly use my pc so its easyer to restard. but ive sat it out and waited to be able to close the video file, and, my pc is still sluggish and very slow after closing the player i used to veiw, i then went to processes and ended the WMplayer task / Dixplayer task what ever i use to play and my pc is restored to normal speed.

Edited by teleblock_4u, 07 March 2007 - 08:38 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi teleblock_4u!

What I suggest you do is uninstall absolutely every video and audio code pack you have downloaded and installed on your computer. Once they are uninstalled, reboot your computer and then to go HERE and download VLC Media Player. It plays almost every type of media file that exists. I have used it for years with never a problem. Best part is you don't have to download any codecs for it since it uses all it's own. :whistling:

Fenor

teleblock_4u

teleblock_4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have VLC and it still dosent play thanks for trying though, im starting to wonder if im ever gonna get this sorted out :whistling:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try updating your video card drivers. If that has already been done, then I suggest that you update your chipset drivers. If you haven't updated your video drivers, please go to http://nvidia.com/ and update. After thats completed go ahead and update your chipset drivers.

I see that you have an asus ps8x-x system board wich runs the SIS chipset.

Go to http://www.sis.com/download/

choose the right location and operating system. The drive you need is the AGP Gart driver.

after downloading just unzip and run the setup.exe. After rebooting try playing the video files again and see what happens.

teleblock_4u

teleblock_4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Got it working,
Solution - I downloaded an old driver and then used the tools to update it.

starjax a thanks to you to installed the chipset after i got it working and it seems to have made my pc alot smoother, thanks alot.