Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to USB 2.0

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I tried to search for this but Search won't let me input keywords like "USB".

I am upgrading an old Dell for a friend of mine. It is a 2002 series Dimension running Windows XP Pro SP2. The rear 2 USB and the front 2 are both not USB 2.0, so he can't use his new iPod. We purchased an internal USB 2.0 PCI card and a connector that puts 2 ports on the front of the computer. When we installed the device it seemed to work, just said that "this device can perform faster" when we connected a USB Flash drive.

After installing the drivers, it still didn't work, only this time the Device could not be recognized. This is the second USB card we have tried and we get the same message, I have tried to switch around the PCI slot that we used and it does not seem there is a problem with the slots. I also disabled the old USB ports to see if that worked. Still to no avail. Is it possible that we got 2 bad USB devices, or is there something I need to know.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What operating system is on this machine? Windows 2000 and XP should be able to pick up a card like this and install the drivers automaticaly. Other systems may have difficulty and need driver installations.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Windows XP Pro (Stated in first post)

Thanks

Edited by Immortalarena, 07 March 2007 - 10:14 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I managed to miss that you had XP but it should be able to pick up any bona fide USB2.0 card and install the drivers. Have you tried another card, maybe borrow one from another machine or a friend. I have one on this machine win2k and it worked on boot up. Most USB2.0 cards use the ali chipset.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
We have so far tried 2 cards, which was why I was wondering if there was something wrong 2 times now. I didn't know if it was a problem with the 2 PCI Cards, Slots, or a Drivers issue. I don't know anyone with a card for USB 2.0 ports in it. Most come with them pre-installed in the Motherboard.

I guess I could clarify 1 thing. It is in right now, and when you plug something into it, it says "This Device can perform Faster"
I know it is a High Speed USB 2.0, so this made no sense. I then proceded to install the drivers and re-boot the system. After this the Flash drive when inserted prompted the error "This device is not recognized by Windows XP"

It is for that reason I am wondering if I should be looking for other drivers, or what? I know the last card we tried worked with the Flash drive, but wouldn't recognize the iPod. (know the iPod works on my laptop) Should we try another PCI Card?

Thanks for the Assistance

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You shouldn't normally have to install drivers for XP, only for win98 or other systems which aren't "native USB2.0". You might try uninstalling the drivers. Also there is low power USB and high power USB so you may have drawn too much current and blown a fuse or burned something out.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thanks for the reply. How would I tell if I had a High Powered USB, is there a universal symbol or phase I should look for.

The System is not native to USB 2.0.
It is however only 5 years old this summer, so I didn't think there would be too much of a problem.

Could the BIOS be a thing that needs updated? Just a thought, again I didn't expect there to be a problem when installing it. So it threw me for a loop.

Thanks again.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It has to have Intel 845 or later chipset for the motherboard to support USB2.0.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
The Machine uses DDR Memory, so I think the chipset is ok. Thanks a lot. I'm open to suggestions still though. We may try returning this product in hopes that a replacement will do.

Thanks Tyger for the help. Again still open to suggestions on solutions. Thanks

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I would suggest you try a different PCI slot beacause they sometimes die on you.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
all ipods work on older usb's, i think it just wont charge them. tranfer rates will be slower but it should still work. i have tried this with all ipods except the new 2nd gen nano

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
USB Connectivity Requirements

To achieve proper USB connectivity six basic system elements must be present and working correctly.

1) Support from the BIOS

2) Support from the Operating System

3) Physical USB ports

4) A USB Device

5) The correct USB cable for the device

6) Drivers either from the OS and/or the peripheral maker

Does my Computer Support USB?

There are two programs available to check if your system is USB ready. Although, neither of these programs is a guarantee that your computer will provide trouble-free USB, both provide good indications of capability.

Intel USB Check
Entrega USB Ready

Identify the USB Host Controller

All USB host controllers are NOT created equal. You should identify the USB host controller type so that you will know how to proceed if you have problems. For a “How To”, go here:

Host Controller PCI / USB - How to identify - Win9X

Cleanup the Device Manager / Windows Safe Mode

for the complete troubleshooter go here

Edited by happyrck, 11 March 2007 - 01:09 PM.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thank you to everyone that replied to this post. I will be able to try some new things to get this working.

Thanks again.