Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin 4 Port Router

• Please log in to reply

Chris-IN-Ireland

Chris-IN-Ireland

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I play alot of games, on both my PC and my Xbox, but other people in my house need to use the internet, so i bought a Belkin 4 port router.

I think i have set it up correctly but, when i play on Xbox live only certain people can join my game, and most people cannot, when i plug the Xbox directly into the modem it works fine, by the looks of thing the Router is stopping people from connecting to me.

The way i have it Wired up is

Modem ---> Router
Router Slot 1 ---> Lan slot on PC
Router Slot 4 ---> Lan slot on Xbox

I have to use the 4th Port on the router because none of the other ports work with the xbox, and there is also a switch that says Uplink on it, this must be enabled for the xbox to connect to the internet.

What can i do to allow every one to connect to me when playing xbox, being limited to certain people is pretty anoying now.

Thanks

Chris-IN-Ireland

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hey yeh u would find this because 1 of the main advantage of a router over a modem is security by default all the ports on the router are masked which would obviously prevent users logging in and the chances are if its a more up to date router it would also have a firewall. there is a couple of things you can do 1 is to login to the router see if it has something called dmz which will unblock all port (ultimatly less secure) but the least hassled way of getting round it another way is to find out what specific ports are required for your games and forward them, if u need guidence on doing this please ask but i shant go into detail until requested.

Chris-IN-Ireland

Chris-IN-Ireland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I wouldnt say that i know everything bout computers, but please do spill the details when telling me how to fix this, and can u tell me the disadvantages of opening up all the ports.

Thanks

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
ok when u setup the router u imputed your isp connection details didnt u u opened a page and typed in an ip adress to login eg 192.168.1.1 which is what my routers is u will have to login to it and change it if u can specify to me the model of the router i can find out if it has a dmz and also how the port forwarding is done on that specific router.

Chris-IN-Ireland

Chris-IN-Ireland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
lol sry i havent replied, but i cant really understand what your trying to say, lol

Do i have to use my internet browser to connect to my router by using the routers IP address?

Chris-IN-Ireland

Chris-IN-Ireland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ohh right i get you now, ill have to wait until later on until i can get the make and model cause im at colege at the minute and wont be back until later on, i will get you the info ASAP.

Thanks