Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connection issues

• Please log in to reply

keebla

keebla

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
my computer was working fine for maybe 10 months, running online games, updating antivirus programs and such, until one day all my programs, eg: cod:uo, cod:2, fear, quake, google earth, antivirus programs and more were unable to connect to the internet. Also shockwave player will not start up in the web browser, i cannot update it or run anything to do with it. with these programs i was experiencing messages such as "waiting for response from master server", "error retrieving signal" etc. the peculiar thing is my web browser has been working with no problems even now, i can check emails and browse through any we pages. i have reset my windows firewall and made new exceptions etc but that had no effect.... does anyone else know how i could fix this very frustrating problem?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What do you have as a firewall? This is commonly a problem of firewall blocking. If you do have a firewall enable logging and check your logs. If you're on a router it may have a firewwall too. Also have you forwarded the ports used by these apps?

keebla

keebla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
hey and thanx tiger, i am just using my windows firewall now, i have made excepetions for these programs yet they wont connect. i do not recall forwarding the ports used by the apps, and i would have no clue how. any future help would be greatly appreciated.