Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Understanding CPU temp

• Please log in to reply

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I have ben woking allot with computers and I have not ben able to totally understand the temperature issue.
I have delt with over heating problems and know how to detect them once they happen and what to do but I dont understand what the best working temperature is or what r is best range to work in?
I happend to run an application with an error and made a loop. My CPU was at 90% for about 3hr when I detected it. I checked the temperature it was 68 C when I stopped the loop it went down to 44 in 3 min. What can I learn from this about my cooling?
I have P4 3GHZ with an air guide and a 120mm rear fan and 5mm front fan.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I posted something very simular a few day ago. Here is a link.

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I read that thred. That is what brought up my question. Not really about my system but basicly to understand what is flying and what there is to know.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
68 is wayyyy too high. Anything above 50 and system stability might begin to suffer. Look at this website for specific cooling for CPUs: http://mondo-daemon....EADME_CPUS.html

What does this teach you about cooling? Make sure to go a good job applying the thermal paste and don't buy the cheapest fans, buy a good heatsink (around 20) and case fans.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You ideally want your idle temp to be between 30-40C and load to be 30-50C anything over 60 is too high, by removing, cleaning and re applying new thermal material you can usually improve temperatures and a new higher quality HSF never goes wrong either.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I have one simple rule. Keep the AMDs below 60C and Intels below 55C under load.

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
mpfeif101 - Thanks for the info. I'm understanding what "normal" is but when I run games and so on the cpu is between 30-60% constant running with peeks. Then the temp is 50-55C.
This is the only time that I ran the cpu for so long at 90% .
Has any one had there proceddor running like that for over half an hour?