Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having problems with video codecs

• Please log in to reply

p dubai

p dubai

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have formatted my computer and I'm having a problem with video codecs. I have installed all sorts of codecs like ffdshow, divx bundle etc. but I still can't view a lot of video clips because they are blurry or the colours are strange.

I have tried many players, winamp, wmp, real but it's all the same. Maybe I haven't installed the right codecs?

Can somebody post links to some codecs that would solve my problems?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
update your video drivers first.

then go to http://free-codecs.com/

I use the klite codec pack. It comes with lite, basic, and full versions. I use basic.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I found another nice codec pack, the Cole2K which includes mpeg2 and xvid and unlike some of the other packs floating around none of the codecs are hacked versions and they work very well. Also get yourself the GSpot2.6 application, it will tell you what codecs you need and many other things.

p dubai

p dubai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have downloaded the k-lite pack and gspot and as soon as I get home I will try them out (i'm at the internet caffe at the moment).

Starjax, you've mentioned video drivers and I'm not really sure if installed them? I mean I've only installed drivers for my graphic card of off Nvidia's official site... Were you talking about those drivers or some others?

Edited by p dubai, 08 March 2007 - 06:41 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Yes, you updated the video drivers.

p dubai

p dubai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have installed the codecs and it's still the same. On all video clips I play the colours are weird, green and red are too strong. I've checked on gspot and it says that I have the needed codecs to play those clips.

Also there are a few that I can't play at all and gspot cannot identify if there are needed codecs or not.

I'm kinda puzzled by all this...

Edited by p dubai, 08 March 2007 - 10:22 AM.