Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU error message whem I boot up

• Please log in to reply

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
When I start up my computer I gat a blank screen which says the following.

Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
Copyright © 1984-2005, Phoenix Technologies, LTD

(Dual Channel Symmetric Mode)
Memeory frequency for DDR400 Specifications
IDE Channel 1 Master : ST380817AS 3.42
IDE Channel 1 Slave ; None
IDE Channel 2 ; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DLIO
IDE Channel 2 Slave ; None

CPU is unworkable or has vhanged. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU

Press F1 to continue, DEL to setup

I hit F1 and it loads up ok but there is some strange behaviour - most noticeable is an occasion "jumping" or "squeezing in" of the screen for a split second. I'm also getting dial-up connection messages when I access the internet.
Do I have a problem? The "CPU is unworkable" message worries me.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I would replace the Cmos battery on the motherboard. The Bios may be reverting to default due to a dead or weak battery. Double check the Bios settings and/or motherboard jumpers for the CPU and make sure they are correct.

What are the motherboard and CPU make and model?

Edited by Whiskeyman, 07 March 2007 - 10:43 AM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
take a look at this thread:

http://forum.abit-us...ead.php?t=97333

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks very much guys. I followed the link and then loaded the optimum settings and all seems well, although the screen dtill jumps now and again - is this a problem or just an old monitor starting to play up? I got the pc package with monitor about 18 months ago so it isn't that old but I can't tell you if its a good one or not. Its a phillips, that's all I know 'cos it says it on the front :whistling:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Someone gave me a 17" crt monitor last spring. When I first started using it, I would hear a slight 'pop' and the screen would go dark for a second and then come back to normal. I thought for sure that a capacitor was going and that the monitor wouldn't last much longer. I just figured that I'd use it till it died. Here it is 12 months later and the monitor is still running. And the problem it had is gone.

I would double check that all connections are tight. Do you have anything electronic next to that monitor? I suspect this is a case where you run it till it breaks....

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
That's fair enough. I'll just keep it going until I need a new one. Thanks