Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer not turning off.

• Please log in to reply

siaus22

siaus22

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
On my friends computer, when she shuts down windows xp, she gets past the "Windows is shutting down" screen, after that a black screen, but with the computer still running. She has to physically turn off at the wall.

Any ideas? Or should this really be in tech forum?

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi siaus22. Windows won’t shutdown, give this a try

go to start > run >type in cmd then hit enter

type in shutdown -r -f -t 05 then hit enter

Also take a look at this site Quick ShutDown

http://www.winutility.com/qsd/

siaus22

siaus22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
It seems to shutdown but the actual base unit doesn't turn off. have done the shutdown command and that shuts windows down but the base unit remains on.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Is this a custom built or proprietary computer such as a Dell or etc.?

The computer acts as though it is going into Standby mode.

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel -or- Start > Control Panel and click on Power Options.

Under the Power Schemes tab set System standby to Never.

Under the Advanced tab make sure the 2 drop down boxes under Power buttons are set to Shut down.

Under the Hibernate tab make sure the Enable hibernation box is unchecked.

Click the OK button when done.

Reboot the computer just to make sure they take.

You may also need to go into the Bios and change the ACPI/APM settings.

Some insight;

ACPI vs APM

siaus22

siaus22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Thanks Whiskeyman....

I'm not sure until they bring it over this weekend. Can have a proper look then.

didn't want to try and talk them through stuff over the phone as they struggle finding add/remove programs.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Thanks Whiskeyman....

I'm not sure until they bring it over this weekend. Can have a proper look then.

didn't want to try and talk them through stuff over the phone as they struggle finding add/remove programs.

I hear that. I have many clients who can only turn them on/off, surf the Internet and check/send email. Beyond that they are lost.

Good luck and post back if this doesn't straighten it out. If could also be a hardware problem (motherboard / power supply).

siaus22

siaus22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Hey Whiskeyman.

So this is the scenario....

Did all the power things, (now set up to exactly how my own computer is). Tried shutting down, lights went out, monitor went to sleep but you could hear the fan on. Yet there were not lights like there is when its in hibernation or standby.

So unplugged and re plugged in, turned on, looked in BIOS, didn't change any settings but didn't find any options for them. Only tab looked close was the Power tab but that only gave me the option of what happens during a sudden power loss.

So after quitting the BIOS, the computer gave me 3 sets of 3 Beeps, (hopefully counted correctly) and now won't turn on. When I push the power button it goes Orange and hard drive light comes on. If I hold it on it goes green, with hard drive light still on and if I just quickly press it the lights go off, with fan still working.

I'm so confused.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you Enter bios? If yes, try to set BIOS to default values (sometimes called fail safe or something of this nature). Save the changes and see if the computer boots up. If this doesn't help try the following: Unplug the computer from the electricity. Open the side cover of the box. You will a silvery round battery. Pull it out very carefully and keep it out for about 20 minutes. Replace the battery carefully with the + pole facing up, close the side cover, connect to power and restart. You should get a "checksome error". Enter bios, set time and date, save the changes and reboot the computer. Please report back.

How old is your your computer? This problem usually occur with old computers. In most cases it is solved by following the procedures offered by whiskeyman. However, I have seen some cases in which there was no way I could solve the problem because the bios did'nt support "soft" switch-off.

siaus22

siaus22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
It's booted now and I can get into Win XP without removing the battery.#. Going into each profile and changing the power options as Whiskeyman described. See what happens after that.

siaus22

siaus22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Just an update, kept getting a BSOD. When the BSOD came up it had coloured lines going up and down it. Was very strange.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Possibly your video card or driver are getting faulty. Is it an add-on video card or is is it integrated into the motherboard. If it's an add-on then move the monitor cable to the integrated port. Remove the add-on card. If the problem persists uninstall display adapters in device managers. Reboot and let the computer run on windows default drivers.

In previous posts we asked for details about the computer. It could help if we knew.