Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copying a Word Document

• Please log in to reply

norms corner

norms corner

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
This one is difficult to explain. So... here goes.....For years now(with any of the computers that I have had), I would see a nice document(informational document) someplace and it was probably(almost assuredly) a word document origin.... I would highlight it... copy it... then go to MY Microsoft word blank... click edit on the menu and then click PASTE and the document would be pasted to the Microsoft word.. then I would save that document to my flash drive OR to a CD... :whistling: NOW, however, and since about 5 or six months ago, when I copy a document that I want to save, I will still go to Microsoft Office Word with the new copy that I want pasted to the Microsoft Word... but instead of clicking the PASTE button, I HAVE TO(MUST) click the PASTE SPECIAL and when the paste special window comes up, I have to click on the RTF(Rich text formatting) part and OK and then it will paste itself to the word document so I can print it or save it to my Flash drive or CD.... IF instead of clicking on the PASTE SECIAL and click on the PASTE as I had done for years, the document will NOT paste itself and it "sort of" freezes the computer so I cannot get myself out of that mess unless I actually go to START and try to do it again, and/or just shut the machine off completely..... I can live with the new PASTE SPECIAL ordeal but I am VERY CURIOUS :blink: as to what went wrong and why NOW(since some months ago) I have to resort to using the paste special WHEN copying documents from the Internet :help:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, norms corner.

I think this problem could be caused a couple of things.

1. Corrupt normal.dot file. Close Word. Search your C:\ for normal.dot. Move any you find out to your desktop. Open Word and allow it to recreate the normal.dot. Did that fix the problem?

2. Detect/Repair Word. In Word, click Help, Detect/Repair. This can repair the installation and perhaps correct that issue.

If neither of these helped, which version of Word do you have?

What might have happened with your system around the time that the Paste function stopped working?