Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malaware sorted, but another issue is still unresolved

• Please log in to reply

THFC

THFC

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
After receiving great help and advice from Rip Chain, who solved the unfortunate Malaware issue, there is still a problem with the laptop which started upon infection from the Malaware.

I have a link for reference: HERE

The problem stated there is still ongoing, at one point throughout the malaware removal stages, icons/pictures were back, but have now gone away again, just to confirm, the icons/pictures are absent on every page I go onto.

The activeX thing happens every time I go onto the internet, but only on the homepage and pages connected to it e.g yahoo news/mail/anything in the site, but not if I leave and go to google for example.

Just to confirm, I am the sole user of this laptopand have always been.

Another point, in safe mode when rebooting, I have the choice of selecting two profiles; administrator or my usual one 'matthew', However, in normal mode this selection does not take place, it just loads up in 'matthew' and has always done this. Prior to the malaware infection, I could perform any action I wanted e.g ctrl + alt + delete for example, but now if I do that a meassage pops up saying that the function was disabled by the administrator.

I hope there is a solution as I am concerned about this,

Thanks again, what a great site and keep up the good work. I will forward a small donation in the next couple of days,

THFC

Edited by THFC, 07 March 2007 - 09:35 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's normal behaviour for the "Administrator" account to be hidden when starting Windows normally, and if there is only one user account (and no password has been set for it) the log-in screen is automatically skipped.

The Administrator account is only visible for selection when the system is booted in safe mode, that's also normal behaviour.

As there are several issues still outstanding, and in view of the fact you still have access (I assume) to your Documents folder, I would create a full backup of that folder then re-install Windows from the Recovery media or XP setup disc.

Edited by pip22, 07 March 2007 - 01:00 PM.

THFC

THFC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks for reply, how do I create a backup for the whole lot? what is the best way of doing it, and with which type of cds?
Many thanks,

In addition, how would I initiate the recovery and apart from all of my personal files e.g word docs etc what else should I be copying?

THFC

Edited by THFC, 07 March 2007 - 03:42 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Burning it on to CDs will be the best way. Use any kind of data CD-R will work. I hear CD-RW CDs are unreliable so stay away from those. The only files you will need to back up are things that you won't be able to get back, like you said word documents and pictures. There are no system files that you will need to back up only personal things.

THFC

THFC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello, just to inform you, I have sorted the problem, it was a setting in the internet options under advanced,

I have already sent a donation to the forum thanks to Rip Chain's help,

Keep up the good work,

THFC