Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lag

• Please log in to reply

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hey my system is approx 1 year old now i built it myself (i am an it technition) and recently it has began lagging which is most strange.

what actually happens is it will be running fine then a beep will come from the motherboard (this is in windows) and it is only 1 beep followed by a little lag and when it does this the cpu usage shoots up and down like a yo-yo the processor is an amd athlon 2500 barton this is running at factory defaults.

Advertisements

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go.

I'm not really sure what this could be. A beep normally means your RAM is not in correctly. Maybe your computer is reading your RAM on bootup and later it starts to think that its not in correctly. This could especially be the case if you have more than one stick of RAM on your computer. Try taking it out and putting it back in. Make sure the inside of your case is clean when you do this. Just to save you the trouble later. Also when it lags, and the CPU Usage jumps. Type Cntrl+Shift+Esc this takes you directly to processes. Find out what is taking your CPU Usage.

Please let me know what happens. Again Welcome to GTG.

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hmm yeh the case isnt very onld that is a fairly new addition and is pretty clean i have tried reseating all the components inclueding cpu its strange and it isnt on 1 application it seems to lag, i dont know if ur familiar with the game star wars sith lords but when opening that it lags like crazy just beep beep beep every second followed by alot of lag fairly strange as an it technition im not what ud call a noob but i dont have alot of ideas on this 1 pretty strange and i dont have alot in the startup infact there is only virus scanner and spyware blocker lol even whilst typing this i go the beep follwed by the lag very strange and i have just fromatted and reinstalled due to this problem so nothing to do with that there.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Yeah I noticed you said you were a tech. Thats why I just gave a brief general reply. Let's see. There is always the possiblity of spyware but you mention a game. My little brother is big on games but he did play one and I'm thinking its the same one you mentioned. But he had to download an extra folder for it. Try looking in that folder; because our was infected when we got it and it caused our computer to lag. But we didn't get any beeps or anything. Like you said this is a little strange.

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Yeh well i have this problem before i formatted and now after so that excluedes viruses and spyware and it doesnt just do it in the game the game is was more of an example of it at its worst and very noticable im not sure if its just me but i have noticed a slite click aswell with the beep it could have been there b4 cuz i cant say unless there is a problem i take note of every sound tbh next thing i guess will be to try another processor. does any1 know of a program if 1 even exists that diagnoses and probes the hardware to detect and faults\flaws?

cheers for the reples

TURKISH

TURKISH

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
You can try this link for a software download that will bring results on screen or printed out
http://www.sisoftwar.../html/dload.htm

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Yes I do. I highly reccommend it too. It is called "Fix-it Utilities". Here at ECTC it is the main diagnostics software that we use. It will test everything from you mouse to monitor, and then holds options for viruses, accelerated and deep Defrag's, Registry defrags, and much much more.

I'm sure you can find a trial version through google.com

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
thx buddy am currently downloading and then will install will post feedback after cheers.

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Run it viewed the report and cant say i could see anything unexpected in it at all what so ever so not good i guess try replacing the processor is the next step do you think?

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I would have to say yes. If that doesn't work I would go after the ram again. But the processor would be the reason for lag because it isn't getting everything through fast enough.

If you've been online at all since your reformat I suggest running AVG just in case.

Advertisements

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hmm didnt see anything abnormal next step will be replacing the processor i think dont u?

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
sorry to double post but was simply wondering how to become a forum moderator thx.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
If nothing abnormal is showing up yes.. try a replacement processor.

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
ok have just put new processor in which has made no differance at all it is the same model processor so i dunno what else to try memory next i guess :tazz: , also how do i go about moderating these forums?

The one

The one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
ok bingo now i have finally found the cause of the problem it is not the processor at all it is infact my hdd and the beeps were not comming from the internal speaker but from the hdd itself it was the clcik that let me to this after i disconnected the internal speaker and still got the same beep well this hdd is only about 2 months old so back it goes thx for the help guys was very much appreciated.