Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

users accounts

• Please log in to reply

ukchap

ukchap

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi nice place you have here.i got a problem with windows xp home user accounts.when i click on it comes up a blank page with the user account people on there at the top.im the administator on there.it wont let me get on to change the childrens account.im not sure what to do can you help,thank you...

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, ukchap. Welcome to Geeks to Go.

I want to understand what the issue is. When you power up the computer, it goes to the Welcome Screen. Is that correct?

Do you have your complete list of Users on the right side of the screen? Or are some users missing? If so, which ones?

Your account (I'll call it Dad), is listed there, but you can't get into Windows by selecting the Dad account. Is that correct? Is there any error that comes up?

ukchap

ukchap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for the reply LindaGail i dont have a problem starting up and all the accounts are there.my problem is that when i go into user accounts to change the settings for my kids it wont let me.when i click on it nothing happens.i tryed to do it in safe mode it does the same thing weird.in the safe mode it has the addministrator icon and our icons with our names on it.i click on the the add icon in the safe mode and then try to click on the account users it does the same thing.it comes up with a blank page and those people at the top of it... :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. Do you have a reliable Antivirus software installed? Is it current and have you run a full scan recently? If not, do that now. If you suspect an infection, it might be wise to go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

2. You could try SFC (System File Checker). It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

ukchap

ukchap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yes i have a valid cd.i did what you said and it comes saying this...

files that are requied for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache.
it says insert your windows xp cd now.lol its still in there.then it says to retry,more infomation,or cancel...

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is it by chance looking for the CD on a different drive letter? Can you actually browse to the CD and then OK out and may the process will take off?

Is your CD drive working otherwise?

Check the back of your WXP CD. Is it scratched or dirty? If dirty, try gently wiping it with a soft cloth. If scratched.....

ukchap

ukchap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oops its still working sry...when its scanning this pops up and says this.

files that are requied for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache.
it says insert your windows xp cd now.lol its still
in there.then it says to retry,more infomation,or cancel...
then the scanning stops

i hit retry and its scanning ok now...
it keeps saying retry.i hit retry and it starts scanning again go figure...

Edited by ukchap, 07 March 2007 - 04:40 PM.