Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Card busted?

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I have an Alienware Area51-M 5500/766 laptop with Nvidea go5600.
I downloaded and installed the graphics card in windows from the manufacturer (alienware.com), it went black and when I restarted an explanation point beside the VGA device revealed that it didn't take.
I booted to safe mode, uninstalled and reinstalled, it worked, and I booted into safe mode again. The display adapter was showing all nicely.
I booted to normal mode, and it just went black right away again.
Where do I go from here? Any suggestions or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Are you trying to install a new card or update the drivers of an existing one? Did you have any problems before you installed the new drivers?

It sounds like you might have installed the wrong drivers. Is the laptop new?

I went to the nvidia sight but they don't offer much information on the go series and it didn't appear that they even had drivers for it on their site.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I thought my windows was corrupt, because it crashed once (it mentioned memory dump during the crash). I tried reinstalling windows and all kinds of stuff... and for all I know now, Windows may have actually been loading, however the screen stayed black. I formatted the computer and reinstalled windows and now its fine except when I try installing the Video driver the above mentioned happens.
This is why I am now afraid that windows was never the problem, I think that it was my Graphics card from the beginning (safe mode was availble after the crash but that's because it uses windows display.)
I have the right driver for the install... it's an alienware customized Nvidia card and they have the driver still listed under my invoices (purchased in 2003.)
Is there something I can check or how do I troubleshoot from here?

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
What do you mean downloaded a graphics card? The download might have been a virus, a virus waiting to happen on your machine, or downloading problem. Some people try to make you think they are the official site, and they arn't. Try scanning for malware in safe mode or look in the registry.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Downloaded a driver for the graphics card. It is not malaware... ugh.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Try a system restore to when it was working using safe mode.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I tried that before I formatted and reinstalled windows.
I think the only thing left to try is reseating the vid card :whistling: unless there is something else? :blink:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you have more than one stick of memory try running with just one at a time to determine if one of your sticks it bad. If you reformatted and reinstalled windows and having the same problem you had before the reformat then it is very likely that it is in fact a hardware problem.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Thanks Titan, I do have 2 sticks. Not too optimistic but I'll try it before I reseat the vid card. :blink:
And yes, hardware is what I'm thinking too. :|
The worst part is I can't get a replacement for this laptop... too old I guess :whistling:

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
After everything, the graphics card is in disrepair. According to other people I've seen posts of on various spots on the net the Alienware Area51m 766 was prone to this issue because it does not have sufficient cooling which makes sense to how my system acted during intense moments. :whistling:
Replacement cards are not available from ANYWHERE unless you have warranty :blink:
I have ordered a new computer that is built on nVidia 680i motherboard though now, so I imagine if a card craps out on me I should be able to upgrade it or replace it provided it happens within the next 5 years? hopefully not though :help:
Thanks for the advice