Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help with Direct Ethernet Connection - Mac to Windows (XP)

• Please log in to reply

noreds

noreds

• Pip
  • 9 posts
need to share files between my mac and my PC, using ethernet (gigabit). But here's the trick - both computers are also connected to the internet via (separate) ethernet. (Basically, my router is only 100Mb ethernet, but I need to share external drives, so Gigabit makes more sense).

I have a dedicated gigabit ethernet card in each machine, and a direct connection between them (right now it is via a 'crossover' cable, but I have standard patch cables, too). I wish to share drives from both machines on the other machine. How would I go about setting this up? As an example, I wish to share the D: drive with my mac, and my external FW drive (connected to the mac) with the PC.

I'm really looking for step-by-step here... do I need to assign each computer an IP? How do I do this? I kinda figured it'd be a simple plug and play, but that doesn't seem to be working... any info is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Does Apple provide any kind of software for sharing files with a Windows machine? Or is there any freeware available for that? Otherwise you will have to find a protocol that is common to both machines, like FTP or HTTP to let you share files. FTP is the easiest to set up, HTTP is the easiest to use. You could put a server for either on the Windows machine and access from the Mac.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
http://docs.info.app...ml?artnum=19652

Some good links at the bottom.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Give this a look.