Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps freezing all the time!

• Please log in to reply

Riddell

Riddell

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Lately i have noticed that my PC is freezing up all the time? My PC is a emachine (H6207) AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3400+, 2.39 GHz, 1.00 GB of ram! I have replaced the graphics card..upgraded the power supply (400 watts) and added a stick of ram (512) Can someone tell me what my Virtual memory should be set at? and any other information regarding my PC freezing all the time would be highly appreceiated!!

thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, click advanced, click settings, click advanced, is 1536MB mentioned in virtual memory

Is the freezing when multi tasking or video editing

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
First of all look to make sure all the fans in your computer are running. If one appears to not be running or working properly replace it. It definatly sounds like your overheating. Dust is often the cause of overheating. Make sure to dust your computer well.

I advise against using your computer at all until the problem is fixed because heat can cause permant damage to your pc.

You can download SpeedFan Here. The program will tell you how fast some of your fans are running and also will tell you your temps. Do this first becuase it will confirm what I think or rule it out. Anything above 60C can cause problems.

Edited by Titan8990, 07 March 2007 - 04:04 PM.

Riddell

Riddell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Click start, right click my computer, click properties, click advanced, click settings, click advanced, is 1536MB mentioned in virtual memory

Is the freezing when multi tasking or video editing

It says Minimum allowed 2 MB, Recommeneded 1533 MB, currently allocated 1533 and it also has SYSTEM MANAGED SIZE chosen.

and as for the speed fan

Local 36C
Remote 46C
Temp1 36C
Temp2 47C
Temp3 3C
HD0 36C
Core 49C

hope this helps

thanks all

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Temperatures aren't out of the ordinary, give it a spring clean and see how it is, beyond that, you would need to check hardware, probably the memory itself

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If you want to check the memory

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Emachines are fussy with RAM. You need to add a compatible stick or you will experience freezing and sometimes they won't even boot.

Riddell

Riddell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
sorry for the delay.... what are abnormail tempertures.... when i run a game, my core gets past 60c.... I think the fan on the mother board over the chip isnt working well... also, on "SPEEDFAN" the rpms of the 3 fans displayed are ZERO?? thanks again

Temperatures aren't out of the ordinary, give it a spring clean and see how it is, beyond that, you would need to check hardware, probably the memory itself

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If you want to check the memory

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible