Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop disconnects constantly

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I use RD to connect to my home PC and use it to run Quickbooks and Winfax. I create an invoice then fax it out (I know there is a better way, but that is beside the point). I also use RD to backup all my work files to my home PC (I keeped them synced).

The connection works good some days and really bad the next. For example, Monday it disconnected once during an 8 hour period. On Tue, it disconnected about 9 times and Wed about 6 times. Every day is different. General internet use on both machines is perfect, I never have any issues.

My home and work PC's are connected to the internet via linksys routers.

I have researched some articles suggesting changing settings in the "Group Policy" setup. I did not feel comfortable without a second opinion.

I know there are other programs like www.logmein.com and www.realvnc.com that do the same thing, but since I already have RD setup, I'd prefer to keep it if the fix is relatively simple.

Advertisements