Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't stop stalling...

• Please log in to reply

RollWithAK

RollWithAK

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
When I leave my computer on, usually it would just go to screen saver after so many minutes, but now when I leave for what seems to be at the least 15 minutes, every time I come back the machine has froze. The screen still shows a normal picture but you can't click any icons becaue the computer doesn't even seem to be on. Are there any kinds of scans i can run to check out what is going on with my computer?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Ryan :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely this is a conflict with the BIOS power management and the windows OS power Management. I let my computers use the BIOS power management and set the Windows to "always on" or "Off(never)" as needed. If i leave the computer for a while it still shuts off the monitorand goes into standby but it always responds when i move the mouse. When i had both power managements working with settings in them i did have lockups that only a restart would fix.

SRX660

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi RollWithAK...

Does the mouse cursor still move? Have you tried booting to Safe Mode to see if the problem persists there?

wannabe1

RollWithAK

RollWithAK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thank you both of you for your response and sorry i hadn't checked back recently. The mouse will still move but I am not able to click on anything... It is simply a frozen screen. If I keep my iTunes running, sometimes it will allow the computer to not do this action for a little longer than usual. Is this a virus or could it be a faulty part of my computer...

thanks guys

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Just to kick an idea in here, put your Task Manager up on Performance so you can see if the CPU is maxing when this happens.

RollWithAK

RollWithAK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Alright, so I tried a couple of things. In safe mode, the problem didn't seem to happen when I let the computer sit for around 20 minutes. Also, I'm noticing, that when I am in the normal computer mode, I can leave a program such as iTunes up and running, and I can come back hours later and the computer will still be operating. But this is only if I am playing music the entire time.

Do you guys have any idea what this could be?

Ryan

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Goto Power Management, make sure your hard disks dont turn off at all, make sure the system doesnt ever go into standby and uninstall iTunes.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you experience this "stalling", can you access the programs through the Start button or by using the Windows key on the keyboard? I'm wondering if this might be an icon/link problem.

RollWithAK

RollWithAK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
no man, i literally can do nothing at all, as soon as i click on something, the cursor turns into a hourglass and you can't click on anything else. it's becoming very frusterating! :whistling:

thanks for the replies...

ryan

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
With the problem not recreated in safe mode I would personally like to rule unwanted 3rd party programs out of the question.

This is just my personal preference as I am not a member of the technical staff. But I am sure they would not fully disagree with me. You do not have to follow my directions. However to make sure that you are clear from any type of unwanted 3rd party programs.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to(unless asked) or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

RollWithAK

RollWithAK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Nobody is seeming to want to help me in the malware forums. I posted and it's been a couple weeks now with no responses... What should I do?

RK