Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

CntryLuvinGrl414

CntryLuvinGrl414

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello...

My mother-in-laws computer has a blue screen....that says...

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8041D60A

It does not let me start Windows in any mode. We have tried doing a system restore, regular and complete, and it still does nothing. This is a prebuilt computer from Circuit City, so all we have are the CD's it came with. If you can help me I would really appreciate it. :whistling: :blink:

Thank you...

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Try the trouvleshotting tips here;

Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A error in Windows XP

CntryLuvinGrl414

CntryLuvinGrl414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
When she bought the computer, there was no CD for the operating system. It was already installed on the comouter. The link you gave me to look for help is asking for a CD and we do not have one, there for we cannot boot up from it like it is asking us too.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Would this be more relevant to you? STOP 0x000000D1 IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Is your MIL usung the same version of Windows as yours? This one deals with incompatibility of software, but to get you pass the error point, you may have to try to get into the bios and set it to Default settings: Stop 0x0000000A Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal" Error Message During Windows XP Upgrade

Error notice can be any of these:

1) Memory error due to small memory defect in memory module or AGP video memory.
2) Failure of device or device drive of one of these: Video, Audio, NIC, modem. Failure of IDE/EIDE/ATA cable as it hardens and shrinks from age.
3)Device order error on IDE/EIDE/ATA cable where Cable Select is being used but the primary device is NOT on the end of the cable. (On cable select, master is at end, slave is in the middle.

whiskeyman's link has something to do under "Look for other hardware issues". Possibly follow those. It will involve removing your case cover and you may not feel comfortable with that. If you decide to do it, keep safety in mind! Definitely power off PC and remove power plug before removing any boards. Touch your hands/fingers against the case of the unplugged PC before removing/unplugging anything. If you need more steps/advice, I'm sure whiskeyman can get you through them.

Maybe try taking out the graphics card first and see if PC boots ok.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 10 March 2007 - 02:07 PM.

CntryLuvinGrl414

CntryLuvinGrl414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
First and for most I would like to thank all of you who take the time out of your day to help us people on the internet who have all theses computer problems. You guys are a god sent for people who don't have alot of money or for the one who do not want to get taken for a ride by being over charged. Ok, back on to my issue...

Major Payne...

Yes my MIL is running the same as I am, Windows XP. I have the home edition though. Can that be used on multiple computers? If it can I can try and install it on hers, but we did try and do a reinstall of what was on her computer and it would not work.

Just a run down of what we have tried...

Tried a reinstall
Tried to do what Whiskey had said, but we did not get a system CD when we bought it.
Tried what Major Payne said to do, but we are not upgrading from 98 or ME.

I may be a little confused on some of what has been said to do but I believe I have read through it and have realized whether or not it will work for this and I don't think I have read the solution yet...

I just realized I had said we had CD's with it and I was mistaken it came with no CD's when she bought it.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Major Payne...

Yes my MIL is running the same as I am, Windows XP. I have the home edition though. Can that be used on multiple computers? If it can I can try and install it on hers, but we did try and do a reinstall of what was on her computer and it would not work.

You would only be able to use yours or another Win XP cd if you know the Product Code used in your MIL's. Have you tried rebooting and tapping F8 to get into your BIOS? Once there, you can set the setting to Default settings, save, the exit out of BIOS to reboot. How old is your MIL"s PC?

You mentioned in post #1:

We have tried doing a system restore, regular and complete,

Were you really able to do these because you said it wouldn't boot at all?

Did you remove the video card and it still wouldn't load? One of the links I gave you lists most of the possibilities of your problem. Did you use the list?

Ron

CntryLuvinGrl414

CntryLuvinGrl414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Have you tried rebooting and tapping F8 to get into your BIOS? Once there, you can set the setting to Default settings, save, the exit out of BIOS to reboot. How old is your MIL"s PC?

We have tried to reboot and the fans come on and nothing happens, we tap F8 and nothing happens. We turn it off and try again and the fans come on and then a high pitched noise, that never stops, but again nothing happens. We have to leave it off for awhile for the noise to go away. But, alas we turn it on again and nothing comes up with or without pressing F8. :help:

Were you really able to do these because you said it wouldn't boot at all?

When we first started having the issue, we tried it and it worked for all of a day and then when it started going blue screen again we tried again and it got half way through and the froze up and would not finish.:whistling:

Did you remove the video card and it still wouldn't load? One of the links I gave you lists most of the possibilities of your problem. Did you use the list?

I have tried removing the card, nothing. As for the links...this link..."Stop 0x0000000A Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal" Error Message During Windows XP Upgrade
" Error Message During Windows XP Upgrade" I have looked and read through the link you gave me, but we are not upgrading from 98 or ME, nor were we when she started having issues.
And this link..."STOP 0x000000D1 IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" She is running a Logitech Mouse, but I am unsure on the version and unfortuantley, I can't get on her computer to check, uninstall, or upgrade it.:help:

Thank you for your patience in all of this I know you are trying your hardest to help and I am trying my hardest to understand. :blink:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

The squealing noise is a concern to me. I take it that while you had case off, you checked to see if fans were running ok, that PC was clean, the heatsink fins on the CPU were clean. You could try reseating all the connector to motherboard and drives. Tapping F8 must be done as soon as the reboot sequence is started. Kinda running out of ideas which means I may be overlooking something simple. I know you said the fans come on, but they should be running at a reasonable speed. I had one on my CPU dragging in places. The CPU was overheating and causing everything to freeze. Once I know you've checked these again, I'll check with the other techs and see what they suggest. All is not lost yet.

Ron

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest here....if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy dive A: first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the first one and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press escape to end the tests and we will try some other tests

Edited by happyrck, 14 March 2007 - 08:27 AM.

CntryLuvinGrl414

CntryLuvinGrl414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Posted Image

So I am running the memory test and it is still going this is a picture of what it says as of right now. I don't understasnd what I am looking at so maybe you can make since of it. Thank you

P.S. I also added an attachment of the picture if it doesn't come out clear.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the RAM is bad...you will have to replace it...go here to make sure you get the right RAM for your computer

Edited by happyrck, 20 March 2007 - 07:54 AM.