Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEC Over-riding

• Please log in to reply

str8dogg

str8dogg

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just bought a HP pavilion with Windows Vista. It came with a CDRW/DVD ROM drive. I recently bought a NEC DVD burner to burn DVD's with. I installed the componet. When it is connected, the computer recognizes the new component as the E drive. The other other component isn't showing up in the Computer explorer. FYI, the D drive is the recovery drive. Question, why isn't both drives showing up and how am I going to use the DVD ROM to read and the DVD burner to burn if they aren't working together? Please help.

Edited by str8dogg, 07 March 2007 - 09:01 PM.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
When you installed your new drive did you ensure that you set teh new drive to Master and the original drive to slave?

this is a very simple mistake to make but your system will not run well without them set correctly.

you can set the preference by the jumpers on the back of each drive they look somethign like this:
[::::] i think there is 4 sets of two pins read the drive itself to see which two pins should be coverd to allow teh new drive to function as teh master

i hope that helps,

troppo

str8dogg

str8dogg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am just a little lost on the Jumper jargon. :whistling: I am not quite sure I follow what you are saying about a jumper. The thick, flat wire (about three to four inches wide) has two connections. The first is connected to the CDRW/DVD ROM. I connected the other connection to the new DVD Burner. There is another set of wires (red, black, white, ect) that id connected to another conncetion that has 4 pins inside of it. It is connected to the original CDRW/DVDROM. It has an exact jump-type connection that I assumed connects to the next drive (i.e. the new DVD Burner). Now there are also other connections (multiple) similar to the 4 pin conncection but they are all tied together and are not in use. The 4 pin connections are numbered individually with only the first two accessible for actual use. Before I forget, the second 4 pin connection has a second set of wires and connection (different than any of the connections mentioned) comming off of it but I can't find a place on the burner that it will fit. I don't even know if it is actually ment to be connected to anything. And I can't find any support to tell me what the wires are for. Man I am babbling, but this is really pissing me off. :blink:

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
the jumpers will look soemthing like this:

Posted Image

if you actually physically take the drive out and look on the top of it it will tell you what jumpers are the correct ones just move teh little black plastic jumper over teh two pins which the drive sticker will tell you

troppo

str8dogg

str8dogg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the info. I think I finnaly got it connected right. Unfotunately, my NEC didn't have the engraved writting on the case, so I had to make the assumption that the setup is standard and called the NEC the slave. I am learning something new everyday.