Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ cpu

• Please log in to reply

joesquire

joesquire

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hello
At the moment I have a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ cpu.
1) What socket would my motherboard be?
2) What CPUs would be compatable?

Thank you

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Your motherboard is Socket A / Socket 462. It is compatible with any Socket A / 462 processors. The highest you can go to is a 3200+ which despite being a jump in speed, wont be great.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
so basically i should jsut get another motherboard?
if i did upgrade the cpu, what differences would i see? would it run much better?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Changing the motherboard will let you upgrade later on as new things come out. And as for performance you will see a jump in performance if you upgrade to a dual core processor or quad core.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Changing the motherboard will let you upgrade later on as new things come out. And as for performance you will see a jump in performance if you upgrade to a dual core processor or quad core.

hi
can i get one of these for my motherboard at the moment? or will i need to upgrade motherboard?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
The fastest processor your motherboard can possibly take is a Socket A, Athlon XP 3200+. If you upgraded your motherboard you could upgrade much, much more but it's more difficult than you'd expect as a novice (if you are).

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
i can do most basic things, im not a total novice haha.
but i dont really know too much about motherboards etc.
i couldnt configure the mothorboard though.

would it be worth me to get the fastest processor i could for my motherboard then?

i'm getting 2.08GHz out of my processor at the moment, if i upgraded to the 3200+ what speed would i get out of it?
or is there any otherway i can get more out of my processor without changing any parts?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You won't notice much of a difference. You'll be better off putting the money towards changing the board, processor and memory, this way the performance boost will be far more noticeable.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
alright then, thanks for ur help guys!!!