Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing USB installed drivers

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
My computer has been giving problems, it restarts automatically about every 48 - 62 hours. The computer is on 24/7. Anyway I'm working on that problem on another topic posted already and since the rules say we should remain on the topic title I thought for this question I'd start a new post. Here's a link to my work-in-progress post, "Windows is corrupted"
I keep installing many USB interface hardware such as flash drives, ipods, digital cameras, cell phones, media card readers, external hard drives etc. the reason for this is, my friends borrow my files so I use their hardware at times. I do have one memory card reader, webcam, scanner, printer and external hard drive connected to a few of my USB ports. The other USB ports are used to connect other hardware that I do not keep connected permanently to my computer. However I think one of the drivers installed when I connected a USB peripheral sometime during the life of my computer has caused the glitch in my computer; automatic restarting. So I wanted to know is there a way of removing all drivers that have been installed on my machine and then new drivers be installed whenever the peripheral is connected.
Also, let's say I use a flash drive and connect it to port 1 today but connect it to port 2 tomorrow, will a new driver be installed when it is connected in port 2? Is it possible this new driver that got installed initiates problems in the machine.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi manu08...

It may be loading a corrupt driver or it may be confused on which driver to use. Let's try reinstalling the hubs first and see if that helps.

Remove any usb devices you have connected to the machine (like flash drives) before you do this.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Under the "Hardware" tab, click on the "Device Manager" button. Scroll down the list of devices and remove each usb hub listed by right clicking on it and choosing "Uninstall". Once you have them all uninstalled, reboot and let Windows reinstall them automatically. Do not uninstall any drivers...just the hubs.

Let us know if this helps.

wannabe1

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Hey

I did that. I won't be able to report as to whether it worked or not until a few days later but if you don't mind I'd like to know how this would help over removing and reinstalling the drivers of each device separately?
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What this did was to make sure the proper usb hub drivers are loading and not a "leftover" from one of the many devices you shuffle through the ports. In addition, in the other topic you have with Ultimateslacker2, the BSOD indicates hardware or drivers...or bad software. We're just starting with the most likely and will go from there.