Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive Installion

• Please log in to reply

ep3guy

ep3guy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I currently have a Dell computer. I have 2 hard drives installed. I installed a IDE controller card and installed another hard drive from another computer. This hard drive has files and data that I want to take off of it. When booting up, the computer recognizes the controller and the hard drive. However, Windows (XP SP2) doesn't recognize the hard drive. Neither does Disk management. What am I doing wrong? or how do I get there from here?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to run the CD that came with the IDE controller card to tell Windows how to talk to it. After that it'll find your new drive which, if blank, needs formatting through Disk Management.

ep3guy

ep3guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Did that already when I installed it.... still won't recognize it.

ep3guy

ep3guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Can anyone help?????

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
This may sound crude, but can you put your ear to the suspect drive and listen to it. Does it sound like the other drive or are their any overly loud or bad sounding noises comming from it? Also does the drive show up in the BIOS and just not Windows? What is the IDE configuration(IE, Secondary master, Primary slave etc)? Swapping the 2 harddrive locations may help diagnose if the IDE channel the drive is not showing up on is functional or not. Please answer the questions....

Edited by scrushmaster, 09 March 2007 - 04:58 PM.

ep3guy

ep3guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

This may sound crude, but can you put your ear to the suspect drive and listen to it. Does it sound like the other drive or are their any overly loud or bad sounding noises comming from it? Also does the drive show up in the BIOS and just not Windows? What is the IDE configuration(IE, Secondary master, Primary slave etc)? Swapping the 2 harddrive locations may help diagnose if the IDE channel the drive is not showing up on is functional or not. Please answer the questions....

The drive came from an operational computer. It was my "D" drive in that computer. It works fine. The drive doesn't show up in windows. When I loaded it windows

ep3guy

ep3guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The drive came from an operational computer. It was my "D" drive in that computer. It works fine. The drive doesn't show up in windows. I tried installing it both ways you mentioned above. Doesn't work. When I loaded it windows recognized the new hardware and loaded the drivers for it. However, it still doesn't recognize it in disk manager or when I run "my computer.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Please answer the other questions and try not to be defensive the hard drive is not you...

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

The drive came from an operational computer. It was my "D" drive in that computer. It works fine. The drive doesn't show up in windows. I tried installing it both ways you mentioned above. Doesn't work. When I loaded it windows recognized the new hardware and loaded the drivers for it. However, it still doesn't recognize it in disk manager or when I run "my computer.

If this is occuring then you need to fix your registry, In my experience people that edit their posts at 2 am do not know what they are talking about... If windows recognized it then it would not have installed drivers :whistling: Please...

Edited by scrushmaster, 10 March 2007 - 05:05 AM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

In my experience people that edit their posts at 2 am do not know what they are talking about

I'd call that a little harsh but it may also speak to your experience.

Since this is on a seperate add-in controller card, the drive is most likely going to be listed as being attached to a SCSI controller (though its technically not a SCSI controller) in the control panel. Even when working properly, the HDD will not be listed as being attached to an IDE controller so moving drives around to troubleshoot an assumed IDE controller issue is a dead end non solution. Neil Jones offered the best advice - load the drivers that came with the new controller. Go into System in your control panel and report back on any yellow exclamation marks or unknown devices. Also, please verify the presence or absence of any SCSI controllers listed. If found, you can update the drivers to include those that came with this card.

:whistling:

Edited by Rockster2U, 10 March 2007 - 05:49 AM.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
When I said to swap hard drives on the 2 IDE's I mean't the hardware not any type of software tag...