Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My new DVD-RW cannot read CDs in Windows XP!

• Please log in to reply

Diego8

Diego8

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Today i replaced my old LG CD-RW with a Pioneer DVR-111D DVD-RW. Windows XP SP2 detected it as it normally does, then i inserted a CD to test the device and i found out i cannot access it!. I Mean, in My Computer the label of the disc and the amount of MB used is shown but i double click on it and nothing happens (tryed with other discs and same thing happens). Also, the dvd's read/write led is always flashing.
To be sure the device was broken or not i booted from it with the Windows XP disc, and it worked fine!.
Also from Linux (Ubuntu 6.06) i have no problems reading CDs.
It seems to be a problem with Windows. What could it be?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Might be some stuff left over from your old CD R/W drive in the registry. Please do the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Once rebooted see if you can now access CD's when inserted in your Pioneer DVD R/W drive.

Fenor

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I tryed that but same thing happens. This time i waited a little bit longer and the cd could be read but really slow (ie: it took almost a minute to show the contents of it).

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you replaced the CD-rom drive, did you replace the ribbon coming from motherboard to the CD-ROM drive? Also, make sure you are using a 40-bin cable and not an 80-pin.

Fenor

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
By ribbon you mean the IDE cable?. Yes i replaced it. When i plug the IDE cable, all the pins are plugged into the cable so i guess it's a 40 pin IDE cable.

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
The IDE cable which is connected to the DVD is also connected to a CD drive. I tryed connecting only the DVD with that cable and now it works fine!!.
Could this be a bad cable or is it that this two devices are incompatible connected to the same IDE?.
I will also try replacing the IDE cable and then post back.

Edited by Diego8, 09 March 2007 - 05:36 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What are the CD and DVD-rom drives jumperd as? Would be either Master, Slave or Cable Select (aka MA, SL or CS). The DVD-Rom should be set as MA and the CD as SL.

Fenor

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
The DVD is set as Master and the CD drive is set as Slave. I also tryed replacing the IDE cable but no luck.

Edited by Diego8, 09 March 2007 - 08:38 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the master should be at the end of the cable ..the slave in the middle..

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
That's how they are connected now. Since i replaced the cable it's reading a little bit faster but not as it should (it hangs the program that it's trying to access the data, as it takes ages to read it).
I tryed reading a DVD and same thing happens.

Edited by Diego8, 09 March 2007 - 09:21 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your sure the jumpers are set correctly on the drives...if so try setting them both to cable select...CS

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Yes. The CD drive was always salve. The DVD drive does not have any labels at the back saying which pins correspond to Master, Slave or Cable Select but the manual says that it comes as Master by factory default. As i never switched the jumper i guess it's master.
I tryed setting both drives as Cable Select and in the bios the DVD drive is recognized as Master and the CD drive is not recognized at all. Also in Windows none of both drives show up in My Computer.
Could this have to do with the Ultra DMA Mode or PIO Mode?. In the BIOS the CD drive is set to a PIO of 4 and Ultra DMA Mode is disabled.
In the DVD both modes are set to 4.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in your bios and make sure plug and play is enabled...if the cd and dvd drives are less than 2 years old then they should be at least DMA 2 and not PIO...PIO will cause a big load on your CPU that direct memory access does by itself instead of having the processor deal with it

try this first..
XP ONLY
The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren't removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third party package still required will then have to be re-installed.

Go to the link http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm ......

look for .....Restore Missing CD Drive .....a little over half way down........

no joy then do this...
this is the manual way to do it...a script to do it for you is at the bottom
Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8. Exit Registry Editor.
Step 4: Restart the computer
If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.
==========================================

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG
You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : fixcd.reg
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

------------------------------ Use text before this line --------------------------------

Edited by happyrck, 10 March 2007 - 08:21 AM.

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
This is becaming a real headache. I tryed doing that and still no luck. Before deleting all those registry entries i tryed checking if any of them were present but infortunately none of them were. (Neither UpperFilters and LowerFilters nor all the entires you mentioned in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\)
Although all that i also ran the .reg files.

This time i tryed both the DVD and CD drive in another computer running Windows 98 SE and Windows 2K (both drives connected the same way as mine, master and slave). And it worked!¿¿???
So i guess it could be the motherboard or that Windows is corrupted?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you could try a new 80 wire cable...you can also go to the device manager and uninstall both the drives and reboot and let windows " find" the new hardware...it will install the new hardware and generic drivers for it/them