Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My new DVD-RW cannot read CDs in Windows XP!

• Please log in to reply

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
80 wire cable are the ones that computers usually have?
Yesterday i did a clean install of Windows and same thing happens, so Windows is not the problem.
The motherboard maybe? It's an Asus A7V8X-X.
Thanks both Fenor and happyrck for all your help but i decided to give up and connect the DVD device alone. It seems that this is the only way i can make it work.

Edited by Diego8, 11 March 2007 - 09:52 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just as a matter of interest, if you have two IDE connectors on the motherboard (some new boards have only 1, relying on SATA connectors for the HD) could you connect the cable with the two CD drives to the other connector? If The HD is connected to one please swap the two between them. is there any difference?

Re IDE cables: there are two types used to connect drives to the motherboard. Both have 40 pins at the end. The one with 40 leads is used to connect CD drives of all types and HDs of old computers. More modern HDs must be connected with 80 lead cables. They probably will work badly with 40 leads if at all. When you look at the cables you will notice that one is more dense then the other. Thats the 80 lead. It will support devices that usually work with 40 lead. No problem. The 40 lead, however, will not support HDs that need 80.