Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp freezes, restarts, but restarts unsuccessfully...

• Please log in to reply

sdeannas

sdeannas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have 2 pc's that i have networked together. i am using one pc now, and the other is having problems.

pc was fine a few days ago, but it started slowing down. i foolishly chose to restore settings to a few days prior. unfortunately, the pc seemed to have done something different because when it started again, it showed me the startup page, but then it showed a black screen and showed me what was being loaded onto the pc. when i tried to start it i got a screen reading,

'we apologize for the inconveience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. If your pc stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked. If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally. Safe Mode; Safe Mode with Networking; Safe Mode with Command Prompt; Last Known Good Configuration; Start Windows Normallly Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.'

i tried to start windows normally, but that didn't work. so currently i am logged on the other pc in safe mode.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
DeAnna

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sdeannas...

Try the "Last known good configuration" option. Let me know if it starts and, if so, how it runs.

wannabe1

sdeannas

sdeannas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
last known good configuration does nothing. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have an XP installation CD? A retail version would be ideal...in any case, it must be the same version as that installed on the machine (home or pro).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try booting into safe mode..if so you can undo the restoration...or try a different restore point..

texas20kats06

texas20kats06

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am having this same problem. No matter what option I choose the system will not restart. Any other ideas?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
To texas20kats06...please start your own thread..its confusing trying to help several people in the same thread..

texas20kats06

texas20kats06

• Pip
  • 4 posts
okay snake will do

sdeannas

sdeannas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
wannabe, yes, i have the xp installation CD and it is not only the same version, but it is the same CD that was used to install XP the last time it was put on the pc... (FYI, cd = HOME)

happyrck, i cannot undo restoration, nor can i choose a restoration point. don't know why, but i cannot...

texas20kats06, i will try to inform you of anything i find out that helps...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great! Let's try Recovery Console first.

Boot to the cd. At the Welcome to Setup screen, Press R

Select the operating system by number...probably 1: C:\Windows

At the password prompt, press Enter

It should load to a command prompt...C:\Windows

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press Enter

This should start the check. If, by chance, you are told the drive is busy and asked if you want to run it on the next boot, type Y and press Enter

This will be a very long check. Be patient and let it finish. It may appear to hang or even back up a little...this is normal. It should boot to Windows when it's done. If you end up back at the command prompt when it completes, type exit and press Enter

Let us know if Windows will start after doing this.