Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

In the middle of installing XP,computer shuts down

• Please log in to reply

stirr

stirr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

Here is the situation.

My power supply failed, so i bought another one. I did take notice to see if the power supply was the one i needed and it was. In fact, I tried several power supply to see if that was the case.

Anyways, the problem is that when I try installing any operating system (tried XP Home and Windows Me) my computer just shuts down. I get to the initial setup for XP but can't get to the GUI to run the wizard to install XP.

I tried everything literally. I tried switching memory sticks. Tried taking the network card out, tried taking out the modem out. Tried replacing all hardware except for the motherboard.

Any ideas?

stirr

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
heat?

Shut downs scream too much heat

in addition to the 20 pin (wire) connector, did you connect the 4 pin (that feeds the CPU)?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I would do as gerry says and get into bios and check the temps if your bios has this feature, if the temps are ok I would the run memtest86.

Most every time I can't get a os to load it ends up being the ram but in these cases it usually just hangs not shutdown.

I know you said you changed ram but is it compatible and known error free
Clear the cmos and load safe defaults.
Inaccurate bios settings are my second leading cause.
3rd is the psu but you have tried that.

hope this helps in some way Rick

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Amen

I would say memory or CPU heat.
Open the case while installing see if that makes a difference... if so make sure you have a decent cooler on your CPU and if your CPU is overclocked try bringing it back to the original values.

Rik

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Rarely does a memory problem cause a shutdown (a reboot or crash to desktop , yes, but total shut off, no)

I am still leaning toward heat.