Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard Error/ No Start Up

• Please log in to reply

VirtualBeast

VirtualBeast

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, my computer will not start up. It says that it does not detect my Keyboard yet it respond to keyboard entry such as entering bios. I had left this computer for a while and was no longer working on it, all of a sudden it started doing this. I must also explain that my old main harddrive is now in there as "slave" since I put in a bigger "Master". Please help, my computer won't complete start up.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is it a USB keyboard or PS/2?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Switch of the PC. Unplug the keyboard from the PC. Plug it in again carefully but firmly. Switch on the PC.

Hope it works for you. It did for me, on more than one occasion.

VirtualBeast

VirtualBeast

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I forgot to mention the measures I already took in trying to remedy the problem. I have already tried to switch off the PC and replug the keyboard (usb). I've also switched to another usb keyboard and one ps2 keyboard and no luck. Sadly my PC still won't start up and says it detects no keyboard yet it will let me do things like enter bio via keyboard input. PS I have not messed with bios in any way. You guys seem really knowledgeable so please help me out.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the BIOS Setup, there should be a setting to halt on errors. On some machines it's just the keyboard error that will halt it. If you disable this setting your machine should boot past the error.

VirtualBeast

VirtualBeast

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the sage advice. I know that I mentioned getting into bios before, but this doesn't mean that I know anything about bios. I will nose around and try to find this setting for halting on errors and will do what I can to disable it. I really appreciate the advice and hope you can guide me through bios settings a bit. I don't mean to be a bother I just don't want to further confuse the situations.
PS this website is great.