Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Wine and WineX confusions for beginners...

• Please log in to reply

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I'd read the manual to install Wine and WineX for Linux and no matter what, I dont get a thing right. So can anyone show me some (graphical) instructions on how to install Wine and WineX?

http://www.winehq.co...te/download-deb <--- I dont get what were they talkin bout.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Which distro are you using?

You can add the down load repository to Synaptic. Ubuntu 6.06 is http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
for the moment its the dapper drake and what the heck am i supposed to do with the link??

Edited by simon_shaft, 09 March 2007 - 05:11 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Open Synaptic, click on "settings" choose "repositories". Click on "new' at the bottom left and add the link. section: Main, Distribution: Dapper

Reload. Now find Wine In Synaptic(if it's installed look In Status, Installed or Not installed) and click on it. Select the Versions tab. Select the Winehq version and force install it.

My personal experience is the Winehq version works far better then the Ubuntu version. I use SimplyMepis 6.01 which has the Ubuntu core.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
ermm.... sorry for askin some stupid question, but from where do I open the Synaptic?
I'd never heard anythin like that...

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Try using the "run command". In Ubuntu I believe you have to use a sudo log in to open it. I'm not familiar with Ubuntu or the GNOME desktop. But maybe this might help.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
You can just got to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager as well :whistling: (you will need your root password)

Edited by mpfeif101, 09 March 2007 - 11:05 PM.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
ok, i'll try it now. Thx! :whistling:

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I supposed the link from monkeyblog helped. But, theres something I don't understand

--->VLC media player for Ubuntu Linux
Ubuntu Dapper Drake LTS 6.06

Dapper will be supported until June 2009 by Canonical. But VLC version is very old in Dapper, so use our packages to get the latest VLC version.

Add our repository:
Use the following repository, with universe checked, for graphic installation:
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/ubuntu
Search and install vlc vlc-plugin-esd mozilla-plugin-vlc and libdvdcss2
Or add to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/ubuntu dapper universe
And run
% sudo apt-get update
% sudo apt-get install vlc vlc-plugin-esd mozilla-plugin-vlc libdvdcss2
Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10

A pretty new version is already in Universe:
Graphical way

Open Synaptic (System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager). In Settings -> Repositories, make sure you have a "universe" repository activated.

Search for vlc and install it. You should also install vlc-plugin-esd, mozilla-plugin-vlc (and libdvdcss2).
Command line way

You need to check that you have a "universe" mirror in your /etc/apt/sources.list.
% sudo apt-get update
% sudo apt-get install vlc vlc-plugin-esd mozilla-plugin-vlc
Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04

Do the same as for Edgy, you should get the latest VLC version
Ubuntu Breezy and Older

You really should upgrade !

You can find a not so old version for breezy on nightlies.videolan.org.<---

sumthin like this in the text:
% sudo apt-get update
where am I supposed to put the line? and does this installs the program? (I was supposed to put the Wine's line but the browser is laggin, so I would hav to put this in...)

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Since your running Dapper Drake just add the repository to Synaptic and follow those instructions. I did have trouble getting the vlc-nox package to install(it wouldn't, could be the difference in Ubuntu and SimplyMepis).

% sudo apt-get update

This is the command line argument for installing in terminal for older versions of Ubuntu like Breezy Badger. You don't need it though it is a good idea to be familiar with CLI.

Advertisements

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Open Synaptic, click on "settings" choose "repositories". Click on "new' at the bottom left and add the link. section: Main, Distribution: Dapper

Reload. Now find Wine In Synaptic(if it's installed look In Status, Installed or Not installed) and click on it. Select the Versions tab. Select the Winehq version and force install it.

My personal experience is the Winehq version works far better then the Ubuntu version. I use SimplyMepis 6.01 which has the Ubuntu core.

I don't see any "new" there. (will post pic later)

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

I don't see any "new" there.

Looking at the instructions on the Monkey Blog site the ubuntu interface has an Add button to the right that should do the trick.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
by the way, can I use the terminal and write: apt-get wine?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Sure you can use terminal for anything you need to do on a computer. Here is a primer on using apt-get /dpkg.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I'd downloaded the wine from http://linux.softped.../Wine-148.shtml So what do I do now after extracting it?
And after I added the >wget -q http://wine.budgetde...pt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add< into the APT repository (yay! I found it) it gimme an error message like this:

Posted Image