Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quite possibly the most strange and mind boggling PC problem EVER

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok I measured the voltages as follows:

1) Measured voltage using digital multimeter
2) Measured at DC Molex IDE HDD- Steady no fluctuations when fridge thing turned on
3) Measured at main plug out and at sure protection and found no fluctuaions - relativley steady 242V
4) Measured as the main house supply was switched back on (I switched it off and got someone else to switch it on) again no fluctuations or spikes

I went around the house measuring voltages at old and new plug sockets and there was no diffrence.
It may be that the flucutaion/s are.is so quick that the digital mutimeter cannot pick it up so maybe I need an anlogue one.
Will measure voltages again to double check and see if I can get an anlogue multimeter.
Typing this up for the second time as this shiitty school mouse has a back button on both sides of the mouse which are EXTREMLY soft and I clicked i by mistake which meant I lost all that I had typed. Bas*ta*rd
Exams in about 30 miutes have to run now, didnt reply for long time due to the fact that I dont have the net at home.

Will reply back more thoroughly afterwards sometime soon

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Will reply back more thoroughly afterwards sometime soon

OK. Also let us know whether your sata drive's been behaving itself the last few days. Is it still making any weird noises or not?

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok I have exams at the moment so I havnt had the time to ask for an anlogue one, although I severely doubt the school has one. I was using HDD health and that was telling me that the hdd (SATA) would fail around 8/05/07. However it was rather stupid as the software was basing it on the Unknown attribute (ID is BE which I have come to know is the airflow tempreature) and the hdd temp. As soon as the hdd gets to 30C it says it will fail in like a month or two. Every 1C it goes up by (it never goes beyond 36C ) the hdd health would say the life was getting shorter. However yesterday I fired up my rig and it highlighted seek error rate in red (it does that to anything it thinks is wrong including the temps) and said something like Value= 100 Worst 253. Then it based the HDD's failure on that and gave me an even earlier T.B.C. So I thought sod this software and I installed HDD life which is the trial one which only tells me info about the first HDD. It said perfomance = 100%, Health = 93%. Is 93% quite bad for a HDD that has been powered on for 2 days and 13 hours?
Oh and Overclockers.co.uk did reply and said I could RMA the graphics card and if they find a fault will give me a new one. I have been experiencing some graphcal problems since I bought the card so hopefully based on those probs they will give me a new one! :whistling:
I dont know what to trust now WD Diagnostics says my HDD is fine as does everest home edition and HDD life yet HDD health says it will break soon. What is the seek error rate and is 100 better then 253 or the other way round?

PS: Where did happyrck go? And how comes no one else bothers replying apart from Samm and happyrck (I am very grateful to you 2).

Oh and I have not noticed any particular nosies although I did think I heard some but that might just be my now very on the edge mind playing tricks!! (Hopefully anyway):blink:

Edited by Mitesh, 21 March 2007 - 02:49 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Mitesh

Re. software - I would trust the WD software over anything else, purely because it is written especially for WD drives. Not all of these 3rd party system information/monitoring utilities are necessarily 100% accurate.

I agree that anything less that 100% health seems too low for a drive thats that new, but then I have no idea how that value of 93% is calculated or how accurate it is.

Re. replies: To be fair to the other members of G2G, it's often the case that when a T.T or Mod is dealing with a topic, other members will often not get involved. This is partly because T.T's etc are normally capable of dealing with a topic on their own & also because it can become confusing for everyone if too many people start getting involved in a topic at the same time. :whistling:

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Will reply back when I get more information. I only just sent the Graphics card the day b4 yesterday so I will not be getting it untill after at least Wednesday (I sent it next day special delievery I know they have it only they havnt replied and told me as to whether or not they have the gpu in the returns department).
So I cannot use my PC for some time now. :whistling:
I decided there was no point in checking the temp of the hdd properly as whilst playing Tomb Raider Legend the HDD did not go above 36C.
I am stilll finding out if I can get those MOV's from the Surge protection unit checked.
Thats about it untill some time now so dont close this topic and check it regularaly please! :blink:
MK

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'll keep an eye on this topic, don't worry!

Before I forget - re. the power issue etc...
Obviously the electricity supply in your house can be slightly unpredictable at times & therefore warrants a MOV etc. Don't forget though that my original point about the power & your hard drives was related to the faulty PSU that you had replaced. Due to the nature of the fault (loose connections on PSU), this would of been unrelated to any power issues in the house obviously, but could also explain the drive failures.

I guess the acid test is just to wait & see if your current drive fails with the replacement PSU

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Oki doki, I managed to get a brand new YES brand new Saphhire X1950XTX!!!! My X1900XT was found faulty and they dont have the same card in stock so they are giving me a faster new one. Now I have a brilliant plan. Ill get £70 off my dad, buy a new mobo, sell my old mobo, and ram, with the money made buy new RAM. Anyone wanna recommend a mobo for say £80 (preferably gigabyte) LGA775 and im guessing buying DDR2 RAM will be an improvement ova my current RAM?
Must go kids wana play on the internet (at my younger brothers friends house a the mo!~).

Edited by Mitesh, 24 March 2007 - 03:33 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a little lite reading for you...go here...and here...and here as well...

I didn't go anywhere...I post at other forums besides this one and I felt SAMM had you covered..besides I had already done about as much as I could..

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Woah dude thanks for replying, but I have recently said that there are NO fluctuations in the AC 240V out nor at the DC outs in the PC.
And lite reading????????!!!!!!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

And lite reading????????!!!!!!!

yep...didn't want to get loaded down with the heavy stuff..just a overview.. :whistling:

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I know this off topic but I was wondering what are the diffrences between all the DX 9.0C versions?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
There's the End user runtime which is for your average user to download from the internet & install.
The SDK version is for software developers
The Redist is for software/hardware manufacturers to include on their CDs along with other software (e.g video cards often come with directx on the driver CD)

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok I now have a new plan. I got my Sapphire X1950XTX yesterday. I have not opened the anti-static bag yet. I can sell it for £200 at least (on Ebay) as the RRP is around £250.
I will then buy the GeForce 8800 GTS which has only 320MB of GDDR3 RAM although apparently the RAM will not matter as RAM on a graphics card is only needed at high resolutions. Apparently this card is as fast if not slightly faster than the X1950XTX. - Can you confirm this is this possible?
Also in the worst case scenario when Crysis gets released, this card probably wont be able to run it well even at 1280x1024, however at least I get DX10 and I suppose cranking the settings down a bit would help.
The second part of my plan is dependent on the graphics card being sold.
I will sell my motherboard for around £35, the Pentium 4 for a round £15, and the 1GB PC-3200 RAM for £35 and I have a TV Tuner card lying around (Hauppage WinTV HVR 1100) that might sell for around £30. That adds up to £115 - enough for 2 GB of DDRII RAM.
My dad will give me £270 so I can then buy a E6600 Core 2 Duo and a £70 mobo that supports it.

As for Vista I can get that sorted because a friend of mine does programming in Uni and gets that sort of stuff for free.

And say if the pentium 4 doesnt sell then say if the X1950XTX sells for £230, I would have £30 left because the 8800 GTS retails for around £200.
Does that sound like a good plan? Also I would then be able to use the 320GB WD SATA HDD on its SATA II connection.

However I am concerned that the graphics card may not be that great a performer (that is the 8800 GTS one) because I thought that Crysis will have loads of textures and I thought textures and the other graphical things DX10 will bring will mean that 320MB will not be enough.
This may also solve the HDD problems as everything in the PC would then be brand new (well the major components anyway).

What do you think Samm?

Edited by Mitesh, 28 March 2007 - 03:16 AM.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Hello....Samm?

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Hello....Samm?

Take it easy on her she'll be back don't worry. As far as your purchasing habits I think it is a great idea. Sell some of the stuff you don't need too.