Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slave HD not recognised in BIOS but XP OK ?

• Please log in to reply

kelvinb

kelvinb

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hello - What have I done wrong???

I have an 8Gb hard drive with windows XP pro installed - HD is all but full - I have bought an Hitachi 80Gb HDD to use as a slave. Links are in the correct place. BIOS set for auto on primary slave.

When XP launched - device manager shows HD working correctly - but no new drive letter allocated and unable to use.

Back in BIOS checked HDD auto detect - shows nothing there ?????

No smoke yet.........

help please

regards

Kelvin B

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need to go into Adminstrative tools in the Control Panel, Computer management then Disk management where you should see the drive as unallocated space and you can choose to format it.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

You need to go into Adminstrative tools in the Control Panel, Computer management then Disk management where you should see the drive as unallocated space and you can choose to format it.

This would be one of those incorrect diagnosis, please refrain... Umm you problem could lie with you being crazy and not seeing such a thing? Seems impossible to me since windows detects new hardware via the bios, is this hooked up usb or are you using something else then the IDE cables? Or are you nuts and take medication?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

This would be one of those incorrect diagnosis, please refrain... Umm you problem could lie with you being crazy and not seeing such a thing? Seems impossible to me since windows detects new hardware via the bios, is this hooked up usb or are you using something else then the IDE cables? Or are you nuts and take medication?

scrushmaster - although I agree that the drive shouldn't be appearing in device manager if the bios can't even detect it, I find your other comments unhelpful & verging on rude. Please don't take this attitude with other members or members of the staff here.

Samm