Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port problems

• Please log in to reply

maira

maira

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My USB port isint working. My phone was connected to it and then we installed another phone and finally an IPOD.I think we accidentally deleted something and I have tried windows trouble shooting and nothing is working.-Webcam,IPOD,cell phone.
I have uninstalled the USB components and re-installed, but it isint still reading???
What could have happened???

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Possibilities that come to mind, it has been disabled in BIOS setup, it has been "spiked" by static electricity, too much current has been drawn from it and it's fuse has blown or otherwise damaged. You can get USB2.0 PCI cards that work very well.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
If you want to check if the driver is functioning you make goto Start(lower left hand corner) --> Control Panel --> System --> Hardware(tab) --> Device Manager. Make sure that your control panel is in classes mode. If you drive is bad you will most likely see a Eclamation mark next to the USB extension on the bottom of the device manager.

maira

maira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
In the Device Manager, it doesnt show any exclaimation marks.Infact in properties it shows, this device is working properly.

Possibilities that come to mind, it has been disabled in BIOS setup, it has been "spiked" by static electricity, too much current has been drawn from it and it's fuse has blown or otherwise damaged. You can get USB2.0 PCI cards that work very well

How do I check BIOS setup?? I am really naive where computer functioning is conrned.

Thanks for answering.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
How to get into BIOS setup depends on the machine, the F1, F2 or delete keys are most common, but if you hit the esc key during boot it may tell you. These key have to be hit when the makers logo screen comes up, before the windows start screen. If you have a problem provide more info and we can help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
Cleanup the Device Manager / Windows Safe Mode

From initial installation problems to suddenly not working USB, cleaning up the Device Manager in Safe mode is the first step in Win9X troubleshooting. Many hardware related problems in Windows can be traced to ghost and/or duplicate device entries. Obsolete and/or duplicate devices can ONLY be seen and removed from the Device Manager while in Windows Safe Mode. For a good "How To", see here:

Clean-up Device Manager in SAFE MODE - Win9X

no joy ...get into the bios by tapping the delete key about once per second after starting the computer....then

Enable USB in the BIOS
USB is often disabled by Default in the BIOS. To enable USB in the BIOS one or more of the following statements must be true.

USB Keyboard - DOS or Enabled (Even if you have NO USB Keyboard)

Legacy USB Support - Enabled

and/or

Assign IRQ for USB - Enabled (Some combinations of OS and BIOS version require this setting to be Disabled).

If there are NO references to USB in the BIOS setup, your BIOS Version Needs To Be Updated.

maira

maira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank You so much for responding.

I went to the BIOS (Setup) and couldnt locate any reference to USB.

How do I update Bios version????

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get everest home here...run it and look in the motherboard section for the make and model # of your mobo..use whatever screen capature program you like and post them back her..including the chipset..
should look like this..

Edited by happyrck, 09 March 2007 - 10:01 PM.

maira

maira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
okay its downloading now....please wait..I really have an old version of comp.

I wonder how can the port just stop functioning???

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I wonder how can the port just stop functioning???

bit rot ...cosmic rays..static spark...your not holding your head at just the right angle... :whistling:
it just happens sometimes...

Advertisements

maira

maira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have done the needful. Attached the file..I am really sorry I am really immature where computer functioning is concerned.I have saved it in word..Hope this helps..

Edited by maira, 09 March 2007 - 11:42 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no need to apologize...we all started at the beginning...the attachment is unreadable..save it as a .bmp or a .jpg and attach the picture to your post...I am going to eat dinner now...so I'll be signing off for the nite

maira

maira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
will try to save as Jpg...but how??? You carry on...enjoy your dinner...let me try figuring this out !!!

maira

maira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
See if this works???

Attached Thumbnails

• mb2.JPG
  • cs1.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that worked perfectly... :whistling: ...you just learned a new trick...after I do a little research I'll post more instructions