Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dsl504 router wired network problem.

• Please log in to reply

nethkhar

nethkhar

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my network, I have a dsl504 router that used to work perfectly. It just stopped working about a month ago and I've been trying to sort it out ever since.

I've changed the cable, tried 2 other network cards, done the winsockfix thing, tried the ipconfig thing. I've read through lots of forums to try to resolve this problem and just keep hitting a brick wall. So I'm now trying this.

My system is xp pro sp2, I'm using a realtek family ethernet card, with the dsl504 wired router. When trying to repair all i get is the message alot of other people get saying low or no connectivity.

I have tried to chage the ip address manually and get a message saying there's a conflict, which I'm assuming is the speedtouch modem I'm having to use instead of the router.

I have tried all I know and I am now assuming that the router is damaged even though everything seems ok there. The status light flashes constantly but I believe thats supposed to happen.

Is there anything else I can try or any way of knowing that it's the router that's broke and not the computer connections??

Thanks for any help.

Nethie.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi,

What network Protocol does your ISP use? (DHCP,MAC,PPPoE,PPPoA)

Have you asked your ISP what the best set up is for your router?

nethkhar

nethkhar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
My Isp won't help me because the router isn't part of the contract. They gave me the modem I'm using so their equipment works. lol. I bought the router off ebay about 18 months ago and I've had no problem with it till now.

From memory I'm almost 99% certain I set the router to use PPPoA.

Thank you for replying.

Nethie.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Since your able to connect through the modem it leads me to believe your right, the router is a paper weight.

Have tried a hard reset of the router?

nethkhar

nethkhar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi,

Yes I have tried a hard reset of the router, so I have to accept that it's died. :help: Thanks for your help. :whistling: All that's left now is the research for a new one, but wired are not easy to get now. :help: So more aggro in a different way :blink:.

Thanks again for trying.

Nethie