Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c:\Documents and Settings

• Please log in to reply

Ivanna

Ivanna

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I downloaded a trial version of an email verifier software.

During the installation a window popped up with .."The folder c:\program files\email verifier already exists." Would you like to install to that folder anyway" Yes or No. I said No…I changed the destination path on the installer not realizing it would change anything on my computer or my documents.

When I went to My Documents it was blank except for "My sharing folder"

I did a search and found all my documents.

Problem:

Now ALL my previously saved Microsoft Word and Excel Documents that are in the "C:\Documents and Settings\Joane\ MyDocuments" will not open. It now says
C:\Documents and Settings\Joane\eMail Verifier"...and when I try to open any document it says.."has changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly"..

“My sharing folder” Icon properties shows: "http://www.maxprog.c...?item_number=7" AND
"C:\Documents and Settings\Joane\eMail Verifier"

I contacted Maxprog for help and their answer is:
I don't think that creating a shortcurt can damage anything. All your data is still in the 'C:\Documents and Settings\Joane\' directory. Have you tried to go to that location?

How can I change this and get all My Documents back like they were?

I do not know how to find 'C:\Documents and Settings\Joane\' directory.

Thank You,

Joanne

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ivanna...

To find C:\Documents and Settings\Joane, double click on each of the following. My Computer, then Local Disk C:, then Documents and Settings, then Joane, then My Documents. Do you see your files there? Do they open when you right click on them and choose "Open"?

You may be able to set things right with a System Restore to a date before you installed the e-mail verifier.

wannabe1

Ivanna

Ivanna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I went to My Computer, then Local Disk C:, then Documents and Settings, then Joane, then My Documents.
They still will not open. It still says .."has changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly".. .

I tried yesterday to restore my computer to three different dates. When it finished each time it said something like " could not restore..nothing had changed.

What else can I do?

Joanne

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go back to that folder and right click on one of the documents, choose copy, and paste it to the desktop...try to open it. Will it open? This is sounding a little like a corrupt user account, but I'm not sure quite yet.

Ivanna

Ivanna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I tried 3 different one. It says same thing "has changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly"..

Joanne

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like we need to find the actual documents. I don't understand why all you're getting is shortcuts. Right click on one of the documents and choose "Properties". What does it give for an address next to "Location"?

Ivanna

Ivanna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Target..."C:\Documents and Settings\Joane\My Documents\What is fsc and how does it work.doc"

Start in..."C:\Documents and Settings\Joane\My Documents"

Shortcut Key...None

General Tab...Pop up...Problem with Shortcut
The name 'c:\documents and Settings\joane\My Documents\what is fsc and how does it work.doc' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open MS Word. Click "Help" on the toolbar and expand the menu to see "Detect and Repair" and click on it. In the window that opens, tick the box next to "Restore my shortcuts while repairing" and click "Start".

Then try to open a document once the repair completes.

Ivanna

Ivanna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I tried to run "Detect and Repair" in MS words. I had to install Microsoft Office disk. . When I tried to install disk I kept getting error message... " c;\Program Files\common files\microsoftshared\proof\msth3am.lex Check your connection to the network, or CD Rom drive. For other potential solutions to this problem. Then..D:\files\PFiles\Msoffice\office10\1033\setup.hlp.

I searched Microsoft Help and Support for MSTH3Am.LEX. Following is what they said to do to correct problem. IT Did Not
Correct problem.

Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders
In the Named box, type the following line
In the Look in box, click drive where drive is the drive letter of the hard disk on which Microsoft Windows is installed
Click to select the Include subfolders check box
Click Find Now
Right-click the Msth3br.lex file, and then click Rename.
Type msth3br.old
Press ENTER.
Right-click the Msthes3.dll file, and then click Rename
Type msthes3.old
Press ENTER
Right-click the Msth3am.lex file, and then click Rename
Type msth3am.old
Close the Find: Files Named msth3br.lex, msthes3.dll, msth3am.lex window.

I still can not run the "Detect and Repair" in MO to see if it would correct my main problem of all my documents not opening.

Joanne

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try running the repair from Outlook...it's done the same way. If it still won't run, we'll regroup and go at it a different way.

Ivanna

Ivanna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

No Luck...Same thing as in MS Words.

Joanne

Ivanna

Ivanna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Any new ideas yet on my problem of why my documents will not open?

When I open my document file and view details they all have ' shortcut" for type.

Thanks,

Joanne