Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overscanning or Software issue?

• Please log in to reply

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
So Im testing some equipment and I have run into a issue, please help if you have any input.

Setup:
LCD -BenQ FP241w w/ HDMI
Grfx card-ATI X1600 HDMI version
CPU -Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm
OS - Windows Vista Home edition

Description:
When I setup the monitor, load the catalyst drivers, newest version of course, and swap over to HDMI the monitor displayed image is bigger then the screen, causing me to lose alot of the image. It will be fine initially on VGA but after its been on HDMI and then I swap it back to the analog VGA it, then the analog VGA is messed up. This problem is somewhat finicky because the size changes. I have tried reinstalling software(drivers and catalyst), reseating graphics card, and swapping cables. It almost seems that this function is just downright unstable with windows vista. The unit will also underscan meaning the visible desktop will become smaller then the actual screen leaving the black bars around it. I am running this monitor on a 1:1 pixel mapping option that comes with it, that you might want to take in to note. I will monitor this thread so please ask questions or anything you need.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Put it back on HDMI and try changing the Monitor Resolution and Refresh rate.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Put it back on HDMI and try changing the Monitor Resolution and Refresh rate.

Did it multiple times. Thank you for the input.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I don't have an ATI card, mine is setup using an old GeForce TI 4200, I have a 52" wide screen tv hooked up with Resolution of 1176x648 with my card set to underscan. It then fills my entire screen without black borders. Don't know if this helps, took a lot of trial and error on my part to get the proper settings.